Permission denied: 'GetObject'

CJM

I'm building an ASP app that uses Windows Authentication (IWA).

I have an authentication routine that assesses if & how the user can use the
application (see code snippet below). Users of a particular group have full
permissions (configured via IIS) and all other users have read/execute
permissions.

When I call the authentication page from the server on my own PC, everything
seems to work, but I guess this is not a respresentative test. So I
installed the page on my development server and called it again from my own
PC. This time a got an error: Permission denied: 'GetObject' .

The error occurs on the second GetObject call. It seems to point to a
permissions issue, but I'm not sure where to look.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Code Snippet:

Sub AuthUser()
Dim oGroup, oUser, aUID

If Session("UID") = "" or 1 Then 'remove "or 1" from live system
aUID = Split(Request("LOGON_USER"), "\")
Response.Write aUID(0) & " " & aUID(1)

'Check if aUID(1) holds a value
If UBound(aUID) > 0 Then
Set oGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & "HEXADEX" & "/" &
"Teconnex_Scope_Users" & ",group")
Set oUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & "HEXADEX" & "/" & aUID(1) & ",user")
<======== Error line.

If oGroup.IsMember(oUser.ADsPath) Then
'User authenticated
Session("UID") = aUID(1)
Session("Name") = oUser.Fullname
Session("Auth") = 1
Else
'Signed in as Guest
Session("UID") = "Guest"
Session("Name") = oUser.Fullname
Session("Auth") = 0
End If
Else
'Other problen so sign in as Guest
Session("UID") = "Guest"
Session("Auth") = 0
End If
End If
End Sub

Hermes

Sounds similar to a problem I had with this. If i remember correctly it was
down to user permissions on the active directory container, we had read
only access to everyone and that worked but it was taken off and we just got
the same error as you.
What we did was to change the user in IIS with a user which had domain admin
rights (or atleast read rights to the active directory).
Might not be the best way round it but it was an internal project and
security of this didnt cause us a problem.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rob

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi CJM,

I'm viewing this post and find that this is a duplicated one with another
thread in the
microsoft.public.inetserver.iis

newsgroup, another member of MSFT has replied you there. You may have a
look. In addition, if you feel
it convenient that we continue to discuss in that thread, please feel free
to post there. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support