permission denied on an asp that's sending mail

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZmVzdGl2YWxtYW4=?=, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. Finding the newsgroups on MS's site could have been easier
    Here's my problem
    I've got some old asp's that are running our simple web site. In a section, there's a contact for
    that collects a few lines of info, and when you hit submit, it takes that and sends it to a specifie
    email address. It's been working all this time, but recently we just bought and implemented
    exchange 2003 on the server and this mail sending contact page suddenly stopped working
    The error page

    HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP erro
    Error Type
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0046
    Permission denie

    I seem to remember that something was wrongly configured in the past which I corrected but it's bee
    so long that I'm not able to figure it out, even after searching through MS's various knowledge base pages

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's the code in the asp file itself. It's simply sending mail
    through the local server

    Body = Body & "Zip Code: " & request("zip") & vbCrL
    Body = Body & "Comments: " & request("comments") & vbCrL

    Dim objMai

    Set objMail = CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail"
    objMail.From = request("email"
    objMail.To = "
    objMail.Subject = "A letter!
    objMail.Body = Bod
    objMail.Send

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmVzdGl2YWxtYW4=?=, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Check the permissions on the dll that implements CDONTS.NewMail, to ensure
    that the credentials that IIS is running under (for ASP code) has permission
    to access the object. Permissions issues are just a matter of tracking down
    the proper file, and checking how you are trying to authenticate. If you
    want to pinpoint where the permissions fail, grab FileMon from
    www.sysinternals.com, start logging, refresh the offending page, and then
    stop logging. Browse through the file, and then take a peek at where you see
    Access Denied - it will almost always show you what file failed, and what
    credentials you passed to it when it failed. Much easier than poking about
    looking for things, and much safer than just loosening credentials all
    around to fix the problem.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer