Permissions for remote debugging in Visual Studio 2005

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Jeff, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I'm a bit new to both managing a server and using visual studio pro 2005.
    ....hopefully, I'll describe the question properly and hopefully this is the
    correct newsgroup.

    I recently went from the free express version of visual web developer to the
    pro version. It is installed on an XP machine that is not connected to a
    domain. We are using it to write and test a web application on a development
    server. I'm the administrator on both machines. I have a programmer starting
    next week who will take over some vb coding for me using the remote XP
    machine. I figured out the server permissions just fine to get him access.
    The remote debugger in visual studio pro, however, will not properly work
    from his non-administrator account on the XP machine but works fine from my
    admin account on that same machine. It also works fine if I set his user
    account to an admin account on the XP machine.

    What type of permissions would I need to set to allow him to run the
    debugger from the XP machine without giving him full administrator access to
    that machine? ...or is this not possible?

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Hello Jeff,

    I think you need to add the user in the remote machine's Power User and
    Debugger User group. Here is an article on how to set up remote debug with
    VS.NET 2005, you may take a look:

    How to set up and use remote debugging in Visual Studio .NET or in Visual
    Studio 2005
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318041

    Sincerely,

    Luke Zhang

    Microsoft Online Community Support
    ications.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jan 29, 2007

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Luke Zhang [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Jeff,
    >
    > I think you need to add the user in the remote machine's Power User and
    > Debugger User group. Here is an article on how to set up remote debug with
    > VS.NET 2005, you may take a look:
    >
    > How to set up and use remote debugging in Visual Studio .NET or in Visual
    > Studio 2005
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318041
    >
    > Luke Zhang

    Thanks. This sometimes gets confusing to me due to multiple different
    operating systems and instructions that seem to correspond to one but not
    the other. ...anyway on my XP machine, at least how it is currently
    configured, there is no debuggers group. ...also checked on my vista rc1
    machine and no debuggers group. ...same on both my W2K3R2 server and the
    W2K3R1 server. I set the user to "power-users" on the remote XP machine and
    this seemed to work, at least with a quick check. ...perhaps the debuggers
    group applies to only a W2000 machine or there is something that I don't
    understand. ...but the problem is solved with simply giving the user "power
    user" privileges, other than the fact that it would be nice to allow someone
    to use the debugger without giving them the permissions available to power
    users.

    Thanks again

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Hello,

    Is the information I provided helpful on this issue? If there is any
    further questions, please feel free to let us know.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jan 31, 2007
  5. Jeff

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is the information I provided helpful on this issue? If there is any
    > further questions, please feel free to let us know.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Luke Zhang

    ....sorry about the response delay. the service that I use for newsgroups
    went down and wouldn't let me post for 2 days (I guess that's what I get for
    using a free service). My response just went through a few minutes ago. I'm
    now not positive that the power-user thing alone is working. I'll have to do
    some additional checking tomorrow.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 1, 2007