Permissions for remote debugging in Visual Studio 2005

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Jeff, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I'm a bit new to both managing a server and using visual studio pro 2005.
    ....hopefully, I'll describe the question properly and hopefully this is the
    correct newsgroup.

    I recently went from the free express version of visual web developer to the
    pro version. It is installed on an XP machine that is not connected to a
    domain. We are using it to write and test a web application on a development
    server. I'm the administrator on both machines. I have a programmer starting
    next week who will take over some vb coding for me using the remote XP
    machine. The server permissions I set work just fine to get him access.
    The remote debugger in visual studio pro, however, will not properly work
    from his non-administrator account on the XP machine but it does work fine
    from my
    admin account on that same machine. It also works fine if I set his user
    account to an admin account on the XP machine.

    What type of permissions would I need to set to allow him to run the
    debugger from the XP machine without giving him full administrator access to
    that machine? ...or is this not possible?

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Hell Jeff,

    I replied the same issue in another thread yesterday. I repost it here in
    case my previous message is missed:

    ///////////////////////////
    From: (Luke Zhang [MSFT])
    Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 03:14:14 GMT
    Subject: RE: Permissions for remote debugging in Visual Studio 2005
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

    Hello Jeff,

    I think you need to add the user in the remote machine's Power User and
    Debugger User group. Here is an article on how to set up remote debug with
    VS.NET 2005, you may take a look:

    How to set up and use remote debugging in Visual Studio .NET or in Visual
    Studio 2005
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318041

    Sincerely,

    Luke Zhang