perpetual client-side - server-side dilema

Support

Hello:
I wrote a vb6 "client-side" ActiveX Component that will extract the user's
network login.
Now I want to be able to do some server-side work with this info, and it
would be great if I could put the user's network login into a session
variable but serverside-code is executed first ....

My objective is for, each time (or the first time) our intranet users access
the intranet's web page, it call the activeX which pull their user name
which them would call SQL and displays custom information.

Does anyone have any ideas ? would an include file work ? or can I in vb6
re-write my ocx so that it places the username directly in a server session
object (nah! that wont work because the ocx is on the client...) help
Thanks
Terry

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Support said:
Hello:
I wrote a vb6 "client-side" ActiveX Component that will extract the
user's network login.
Now I want to be able to do some server-side work with this info, and
it would be great if I could put the user's network login into a
session variable but serverside-code is executed first ....

My objective is for, each time (or the first time) our intranet users
access the intranet's web page, it call the activeX which pull their
user name which them would call SQL and displays custom information.

Does anyone have any ideas ? would an include file work ? or can I in
vb6 re-write my ocx so that it places the username directly in a
server session object (nah! that wont work because the ocx is on the
client...) help Thanks
Terry

Why are you doing this? Why don't you set authentication to Windows and
disable Anonymous? The LOGON_USER servervariable will then contain the
user's network login (I'm assuming this is an intranet application)

Given that you need to use this client-side ocx, you can use the
XMLHTTPRequest object to pass data to a server-side asp page which can do
whatever you like, including putting it into a session variable.

Bob Barrows

Support

Yes - thanks that may work. Will the user be required to "login" on the web
server ? or will this be totally transparant?
They access the intranet sporadically and we do not want them to login each
and every time...
Thanks

Bob Barrows [MVP]

It's totally transparent. The web server authenticates the user using the
Windows credentials.

Bob Barrows

Support

Thanks I tried this:
this required in ie ->tools ->Internet Options ->Security ->Local Intranet
Custom Level -> Setting User Authentication/Logon to Automatic login with
current username and password
I can then get the user name via Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER")
Thanks