persist js-block-resident state across ajax downloads?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

lcplben said:
It would be handy to persist certain state, maintained in JavaScript
arrays, across downloads of html matter via Ajax. When I try this,
though, the array that holds my carefully-constructed state info goes
up in smoke.

Mine doesn't.
Is it possible to persist state under this circumstance?
Yes.

Or is something similar possible?

Something similar to not doing anything to prevent loss of data?
The only other two possibilities I can think of are maintaining state
in a <div style="display:none;"> on the page

Bad idea. Data and presentation of data should be kept separate.
or shipping the entire state table up to the server at Ajax-
request time and receiving it back in the server response.

Parse error.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting>

PointedEars

lcplben

Hi again, everybody --

It would be handy to persist certain state, maintained in JavaScript
arrays, across downloads of html matter via Ajax. When I try this,
though, the array that holds my carefully-constructed state info goes
up in smoke.

Is it possible to persist state under this circumstance? Or is
something similar possible?

The only other two possibilities I can think of are maintaining state
in a <div style="display:none;"> on the page and downloading below
that; or shipping the entire state table up to the server at Ajax-
request time and receiving it back in the server response.

Thanks!

-- ben

lcplben

Mine doesn't.

Something similar to not doing anything to prevent loss of data?

Heh! No. What is the something that one does to prevent loss of data?

-- ben