persistent CGI pattern at google.com (was why python?)

Discussion in 'Python' started by francois lepoutre, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    > Google itself is a python success story - for example this here:
    > https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=102

    Sure, it looks like google.com is using some kind of
    cgi process to run python code. Kind of good news
    for those selling python-based stuff.

    I expect google use some sort of persistency layer
    (mod_python, fastcgi ...) to run their python cgi code
    effectively.

    Anyone knows the way their python code is delivered
    at adwords ?

    Fran├žois

    francois lepoutre, Nov 19, 2004

  2. francois lepoutre

    Mark Rowe Guest

    On Nov 20, 2004, at 12:56 AM, francois lepoutre wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    >> Google itself is a python success story - for example this here:
    >> https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=102

    > Sure, it looks like google.com is using some kind of
    > cgi process to run python code. Kind of good news
    > for those selling python-based stuff.
    >
    > I expect google use some sort of persistency layer
    > (mod_python, fastcgi ...) to run their python cgi code
    > effectively.
    >
    > Anyone knows the way their python code is delivered
    > at adwords ?

    The HTTP headers returned from the above URL look something like:

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Mathopd/1.5p3
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Set-Cookie: N_T=; path=/; domain=adwords.google.com;expires=Thursday,
    01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT
    Set-Cookie: N_T=; path=/; expires=Thursday, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT
    Set-Cookie: N_T=v=1&c=1f3ebd18&s=419de707&t=T:0:102; path=/support;
    domain=adwords.google.com
    Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:28:55 GMT

    Mathopd (<http://www.mathopd.org/>) is "a very small, yet very fast
    HTTP server for UN*X systems".

    Further on in the HTML we see """<META name="type"
    content="topic.cs">""". The topic.cs portion of that tag suggests to
    me that ClearSilver (<http://www.clearsilver.net/>) is being used for
    the templating of the page. A little digging around the ClearSilver
    site finds this interesting snippet
    (<http://www.clearsilver.net/examples.hdf>): "Here are some examples
    of websites and applications built today using ClearSilver. The host
    programming language is also listed: ... Google Groups 2 - The new
    version of Google Groups uses ClearSilver. (C++/Python)".

    None of this directly addresses your question with regards to the
    "persistency layer" that they use, but it does provide relatively
    strong evidence of the Python-related technologies that they are using
    for user-visible portions of their services.

    Regards,

    Mark Rowe
    <http://bdash.net.nz/>

    Mark Rowe, Nov 19, 2004