persistent storage for Opera's User JavaScript

Yan Huang

Hi,

It might be a little off-topic here. But anyone knows if Opera's User
JavaScript is granted any extra capability of accessing a persistent
storage place, such as the local file system?

Thanks,
Yan Huang

Yan Huang

On 15/10/09 03:41, Yan Huang wrote:

AFAIK, no; user js is sandboxed as well. I think Opera widgets have file
system access, and you may be able to read your files this way, but I
don't think widgets can communicate directly with user js. Sorry about
the vague reply, I'm not an Opera expert.
Tryhttp://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=114

cheers,
stefan

Thanks for you pointers.

Yes. Widgets has a different security model that allows local file
system accesses according to config.xml's description.

I want to use Opera's user javascript to get trace information of
running JS in ordinary web pages. I am thinking about
a smart way to output the trace information.

-- Yan Huang

Yan Huang

Maybe you can write it to the log(window).

By log window, do you mean the Error Console? I am currently writing
to the error console. But it seems too much information expected to
appear there. Plus it becomes cumbersome to extract my own information
out of the error console while everything is mixed up.

-- Yan Huang

Francesco S. Carta

Yan Huang said:
By log window, do you mean the Error Console? I am currently writing
to the error console. But it seems too much information expected to
appear there. Plus it becomes cumbersome to extract my own information
out of the error console while everything is mixed up.

What about adding a custom message console to the page you're
scripting?

You append a DIV to the body, set its size appropriately, make its
overflow scrollable and fix it to a corner of the viewport -
eventually z-ordering it on top of everything else - then you add can
there all of your messages for review/copy.

Hope that helps.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Yan said:
By log window, do you mean the Error Console? I am currently writing
to the error console. But it seems too much information expected to
appear there. Plus it becomes cumbersome to extract my own information
out of the error console while everything is mixed up.

There is a filter input element, for example.

PointedEars