Persisting a property (e.g. TabIndex) in a control's Tag on creation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Ahmet Gunes, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Ahmet Gunes

Ahmet Gunes Guest

Hi Friends,

I'm building a web control. I came to a point that I have to persist a property (especially TabIndex) in the control's tag when the control is dropped on a Web form.
    I tried several methods but none of them worked. Here is one of the methods I tried:

<PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.Attribute), DefaultValue(-1)> Public Overrides Property TabIndex() As Short
    Get
    Return MyBase.TabIndex
    End Get
    Set(ByVal Value As Short)
    MyBase.TabIndex = Value
    End Set
    End Property

And either in the Constructor or Init methods I set TabIndex to "0".

What I want is to get an HTML script as follows when I drop the control on a web form:

<cc3:MyTextBoxHighlight id="MyTextBoxHighlight1" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 336px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 176px"
    runat="server" HighlightColor="192, 0, 0" TabIndex="0"></cc3:MyTextBoxHighlight>

But unfortunately, the TabIndex="0" attribute is not shown until I manually change it in the Properties window.

Can anyone help? Is what I try to do possible?

Thanks in advance,

AG
    Ahmet Gunes, Jun 10, 2004
    1. Advertising

2. Ahmet Gunes

Teemu Keiski Guest

Hi,

so you mean TabIndex="0" should be automatically on the control at web form when dragging the control from Toolbox?. In that case, you could mark the control with ToolBoxData attribute in which you specify the default markup. This way no property override is needed

See:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...systemwebuitoolboxdataattributeclasstopic.asp

--
    Teemu Keiski
    MCP, Microsoft MVP (ASP.NET), AspInsiders member
    ASP.NET Forum Moderator, AspAlliance Columnist
    http://blogs.aspadvice.com/joteke

"Ahmet Gunes" <> wrote in message news:...
    Hi Friends,

I'm building a web control. I came to a point that I have to persist a property (especially TabIndex) in the control's tag when the control is dropped on a Web form.
    I tried several methods but none of them worked. Here is one of the methods I tried:

<PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.Attribute), DefaultValue(-1)> Public Overrides Property TabIndex() As Short
    Get
    Return MyBase.TabIndex
    End Get
    MyBase.TabIndex = Value
    End Set
    End Property

What I want is to get an HTML script as follows when I drop the control on a web form:

<cc3:MyTextBoxHighlight id="MyTextBoxHighlight1" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 336px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 176px"
    runat="server" HighlightColor="192, 0, 0" TabIndex="0"></cc3:MyTextBoxHighlight>

But unfortunately, the TabIndex="0" attribute is not shown until I manually change it in the Properties window.

Thanks in advance,

AG
    Teemu Keiski, Jun 12, 2004
    1. Advertising

3. Ahmet Gunes

Ahmet Gunes Guest

Hi Teemu,

Ok. that worked. But what we exactly want to do is to set the tabIndex property to an arbitrary value (e.g. Page.Controls.Count) in the control's Init event so that the programmer will not have to set the tabIndex property of this control manually.

Although when I drop the control on to a webform, the property seems to be already set (e.g. to "2") in the "Properties" window, the html code seems not to be in synch with the properties window. The code still shows tabIndex="0". When I change the property value in the Properties window, however, the change is successfully saved into the html code.

In short:

When I drop an instance of the control the first time I want tabIndex="1" in the html code
    When I drop another instance of the control, this second instance shoud have tabIndex="1" in the html code.

Is that possible?

Yours,

AG

"Teemu Keiski" <> wrote in message news:...
    Hi,

so you mean TabIndex="0" should be automatically on the control at web form when dragging the control from Toolbox?. In that case, you could mark the control with ToolBoxData attribute in which you specify the default markup. This way no property override is needed

See:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...systemwebuitoolboxdataattributeclasstopic.asp

--
    Teemu Keiski

Hi Friends,

Get
    Return MyBase.TabIndex
    End Get
    MyBase.TabIndex = Value
    End Set
    End Property

Thanks in advance,

AG
    Ahmet Gunes, Jun 14, 2004
  4. Ahmet Gunes

Ahmet Gunes Guest

sorry,

in the second sentence starting with "When.." value of tabIndex should be "2"...

When I drop another instance of the control, this second instance shoud have tabIndex="2" in the html code.

Hi Teemu,

Ok. that worked. But what we exactly want to do is to set the tabIndex property to an arbitrary value (e.g. Page.Controls.Count) in the control's Init event so that the programmer will not have to set the tabIndex property of this control manually.

Although when I drop the control on to a webform, the property seems to be already set (e.g. to "2") in the "Properties" window, the html code seems not to be in synch with the properties window. The code still shows tabIndex="0". When I change the property value in the Properties window, however, the change is successfully saved into the html code.

In short:

When I drop an instance of the control the first time I want tabIndex="1" in the html code
    When I drop another instance of the control, this second instance shoud have tabIndex="1" in the html code.

Is that possible?

Yours,

AG

"Teemu Keiski" <> wrote in message news:...
    Hi,

See:

--
    Teemu Keiski

Hi Friends,

Get
    Return MyBase.TabIndex
    End Get
    MyBase.TabIndex = Value
    End Set
    End Property

Thanks in advance,

AG
    Ahmet Gunes, Jun 14, 2004
    1. Advertising