Persisting Application data/state

ewolfman

Hi all,

Recently I've learned of the ability to store Session data outside the
worker process (WP), for instance the ability to use the ASP.NET State
Service (aspnet_state.exe). This is great, because when the WP
terminates or performs scavenging etc', the Session state remains
untouched.

I have data which is at *application* level, and I wish to be able to
persist that data, just like I described regarding the Session
persistance.

I had several options in mind. The first is to use the Cache, but it is
unreliable; The second is to use the HttpApplication, which is also
unreliable. I can always persist the data to a database or the like,
but I was looking for a "built-in" ASP.NET solution, just like the
ASP.NET's State Service.

BTW: A simple webform which stores data on both the Session &
Application, using the State Service, and terminating the WP using Task
Manager, resulted in the Session state being stored (and "restored")
successfully, unlike the Application - so this solution serves only
Sessions.

Thanks.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

To answer your question, there is no built-in solution. This data msut exist
somewhere already (database, xml file), and you must already have the access
code to get it on_Start...everything else would be pretty simply to
implement..

Karl

ewolfman

Thanks for you reply Karl.

Can someone please recommend a good product or open source code which
performs this persistence. I'd rather use an existing one then invest
time developing one.

ewolfman

I was thinking about NHibernate and the like, but it occured to be that
we probably have a design flaw, and that the data should be stored in
the Session and not in the Application level. The Session state is
handled easily by ASP.NET, so this will probably be our direction.

However, if anyone wishes to comment about the entire topic, I'll be
happy to read about it.