Persisting complex data between calls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Dave Harvey, May 22, 2009.

  1. Dave Harvey

    Dave Harvey Guest

    I am trying to write a WebControl version of an existing .NET Windows Forms
    control, and to re-use as much of my existing code as possible. This
    requires the server to hold and use complex existing data objects, which
    cannot easily be serialised or quickly re-created - i.e. I need to keep the
    objects themselves live in the server, rather than the serialised data
    necessary to re-create them. This will be used in an application for a small
    number of local users, and web server resources are not a significant issue
    (though of course a means of clearing data unused for 30 minutes or so would
    be necessary eventually).

    So - I need a way to associate one or more objects with a session key, and
    to be able to retrieve (and modify) those objects in subsequent invocations
    of the page. As the data could be several Megabytes, and response times need
    to be very short, I definitely need a RAM solution, rather than writing
    things out to app_Data.

    Is there a viable solution to this requirement?
    --
    Dave Harvey
    Medical Connections
    Dave Harvey, May 22, 2009

  2. Dave Harvey

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Dave Harvey" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to write a WebControl version of an existing .NET Windows Forms
    > control, and to re-use as much of my existing code as possible. This
    > requires the server to hold and use complex existing data objects, which
    > cannot easily be serialised or quickly re-created - i.e. I need to keep
    > the
    > objects themselves live in the server, rather than the serialised data
    > necessary to re-create them. This will be used in an application for a
    > small
    > number of local users, and web server resources are not a significant
    > issue
    > (though of course a means of clearing data unused for 30 minutes or so
    > would
    > be necessary eventually).
    >
    > So - I need a way to associate one or more objects with a session key, and
    > to be able to retrieve (and modify) those objects in subsequent
    > invocations
    > of the page. As the data could be several Megabytes, and response times
    > need
    > to be very short, I definitely need a RAM solution, rather than writing
    > things out to app_Data.
    >
    > Is there a viable solution to this requirement?

    It's called a .NET state server of either the state server being a MS SQL
    server or the server is hosting a .NET state service that's holding session
    state for session objects.

    Why try to reinvent the wheel?

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4097 (20090522) __________

    http://www.eset.com