Persisting complex data between calls

Dave Harvey

I am trying to write a WebControl version of an existing .NET Windows Forms
control, and to re-use as much of my existing code as possible. This
requires the server to hold and use complex existing data objects, which
cannot easily be serialised or quickly re-created - i.e. I need to keep the
objects themselves live in the server, rather than the serialised data
necessary to re-create them. This will be used in an application for a small
number of local users, and web server resources are not a significant issue
(though of course a means of clearing data unused for 30 minutes or so would
be necessary eventually).

So - I need a way to associate one or more objects with a session key, and
to be able to retrieve (and modify) those objects in subsequent invocations
of the page. As the data could be several Megabytes, and response times need
to be very short, I definitely need a RAM solution, rather than writing
things out to app_Data.

Is there a viable solution to this requirement?

Mr. Arnold

Dave Harvey said:
[...]

It's called a .NET state server of either the state server being a MS SQL
server or the server is hosting a .NET state service that's holding session
state for session objects.

Why try to reinvent the wheel?

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4097 (20090522) __________

http://www.eset.com