    really agree with domain hogging, and dont feel £75 for three domains is a
    good investment. The money would be better used to promote the site in other
    ways. I am just trying to be fair to her.

    Rob, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Rob

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bqkjao$fe4$>
    Rob said:

    > I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
    > person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
    > registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains (£25
    > each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
    > here)...
    >
    > Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
    > that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
    > domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...
    >
    > "It's obviously a 'personal pet hate' of yours when people want to buy more
    > than one name..."
    >
    > Comments please, so that I can forward them on to her. Personally, I dont
    > really agree with domain hogging, and dont feel £75 for three domains is a
    > good investment. The money would be better used to promote the site in other
    > ways. I am just trying to be fair to her.

    my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.

    my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
    just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
    wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

    --
    brucie
    03/December/2003 10:06:52 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
    >
    > my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
    > just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
    > wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

    I will, without delay. Its shitty, cause she is a whiner, and she
    *explicitly said* tell me everything you think, about my choices and
    decisions on all matters relating to my website.

    I had to sit through a 30 minute lecture on the phone about it... She wakes
    me up at the crack of dawn on saturday mornings (i work from home) and calls
    on sundays too. Her old web designer wont work with her... you know the
    type.

    I was hoping (tongue in cheek) to get a list of coments from people here,
    which I could pass on to her... something along the lines of domain hog etc
    hehe

    Rob, Dec 3, 2003
  4. brucie wrote:
    > in post <news:bqkjao$fe4$>
    > Rob said:
    >

    >>I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
    >>person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
    >>registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains (£25
    >>each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
    >>here)...
    >>
    >>Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
    >>that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
    >>domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...
    >>
    >>"It's obviously a 'personal pet hate' of yours when people want to buy more
    >>than one name..."
    >>
    >>Comments please, so that I can forward them on to her. Personally, I dont
    >>really agree with domain hogging, and dont feel £75 for three domains is a
    >>good investment. The money would be better used to promote the site in other
    >>ways. I am just trying to be fair to her.

    > my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
    >
    > my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
    > just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
    > wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

    I'll keep that in mind next time a client wants a Flash intro and
    Javascript-only navigation for his 1024x786-optimized brochureware site.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Rob wrote:
    >>my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
    >>
    >>my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
    >>just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
    >>wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

    > I will, without delay. Its shitty, cause she is a whiner

    If you don't get along with a client:

    "How to Fire a Client and Protect a Reputation"
    <http://www.laurabenjamin.com/Articles/fireaclient.htm>

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Rob

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bqkp2p$23scgd$-berlin.de>
    Matthias Gutfeldt said:

    >> my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
    >> just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
    >> wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

    > I'll keep that in mind next time a client wants a Flash intro and
    > Javascript-only navigation for his 1024x786-optimized brochureware site.

    totally different situation.

    --
    brucie
    04/December/2003 12:26:37 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 3, 2003
  7. "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
    > >
    > > my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
    > > just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
    > > wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

    > I will, without delay. Its shitty, cause she is a whiner, and she
    > *explicitly said* tell me everything you think, about my choices and
    > decisions on all matters relating to my website.
    >
    > I had to sit through a 30 minute lecture on the phone about it... She

    wakes
    > me up at the crack of dawn on saturday mornings (i work from home) and

    calls
    > on sundays too. Her old web designer wont work with her... you know the
    > type.

    Yeah, the type that you can bill them for any phone time after X amount of
    hours. Love 'em. You do have that in the contract, don't you? ;-)

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Dec 3, 2003
  8. Rob

    Jeff Thies Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
    > person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
    > registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains

    (£25
    > each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
    > here)...

    I never get involved in this, but...

    There are valid reasons to have multiple domains. Typically this is done
    when you wish to grab a larger market share of a large market. Normally the
    people that do this have their own servers and adding domains is just part
    of the job.

    I would think that a specialized business or a major brand would be
    disadvantaged by this. You would be competing against yourself...

    On the other hand, good domain names, are hard to find. If you have a
    potential use for it is it a bad idea to lock it up?

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Dec 3, 2003
  9. Rob

    Jay Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
    > person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
    > registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains

    (£25
    > each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
    > here)...
    >
    > Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
    > that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
    > domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...
    >
    > "It's obviously a 'personal pet hate' of yours when people want to buy

    more
    > than one name..."
    >
    > Comments please, so that I can forward them on to her. Personally, I dont
    > really agree with domain hogging, and dont feel £75 for three domains is a
    > good investment. The money would be better used to promote the site in

    other
    > ways. I am just trying to be fair to her.

    If she wants to by more than one domain name, why not? They're not yours to
    decide how they are distributed. Domain names have been around for years. If
    she found some that are available, there's probably not much of a demand for
    them so I don't see how you could consider her a domain hog.

    Besides, if you don't sell them to her and she really wants them, someone
    else will end up making money on the sale. Especially when she finds them
    cheaper.

    - J

    Jay, Dec 3, 2003
  10. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > If she wants to by more than one domain name, why not? They're not yours
    > decide how they are distributed. Domain names have been around for years.

    If
    > she found some that are available, there's probably not much of a demand

    for
    > them so I don't see how you could consider her a domain hog.
    >
    > Besides, if you don't sell them to her and she really wants them, someone
    > else will end up making money on the sale. Especially when she finds them
    > cheaper.

    The client found a bunch of pathetic domain names, whined about the price
    (the price comes with the best service I am able to give, and... its my
    price at the end of the day) and got upset when I gave her my advice. I told
    her I would do whatever she asked of me, but... some clients you just cant
    please.

    If she had a little extra to spend (as did another cilent of mine who bought
    3 domains, and wanted three websites to promote one product, which was
    discounted of course) she woudl have a point. But, buying shitty (and I do
    mean shitty) domains for the sake of it...

    I at least expexted her to thank me for my advice, but perhaps agree to
    disagree. I didnt expect to get what was at the end of the day, a rather
    nasty attack from her. Now I know why her old web designer refused to work
    with her.

    Rob, Dec 3, 2003
  11. Rob

    Jay Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > If she wants to by more than one domain name, why not? They're not yours

    > > decide how they are distributed. Domain names have been around for

    years.
    > If
    > > she found some that are available, there's probably not much of a demand

    > for
    > > them so I don't see how you could consider her a domain hog.
    > >
    > > Besides, if you don't sell them to her and she really wants them,

    someone
    > > else will end up making money on the sale. Especially when she finds

    them
    > > cheaper.

    > The client found a bunch of pathetic domain names, whined about the price
    > (the price comes with the best service I am able to give, and... its my
    > price at the end of the day) and got upset when I gave her my advice. I

    told
    > her I would do whatever she asked of me, but... some clients you just cant
    > please.
    >
    > If she had a little extra to spend (as did another cilent of mine who

    bought
    > 3 domains, and wanted three websites to promote one product, which was
    > discounted of course) she woudl have a point. But, buying shitty (and I do
    > mean shitty) domains for the sake of it...
    >
    > I at least expexted her to thank me for my advice, but perhaps agree to
    > disagree. I didnt expect to get what was at the end of the day, a rather
    > nasty attack from her. Now I know why her old web designer refused to work
    > with her.

    Sounds to me that your best bet is to finish your contracted services with
    her and drop her. She'll hopfully soon realize that her attitude isn't going
    to get her product sold when she keeps shoving her contractors around. Do
    what you can to make your money and tell her that's that.

    - J

    Jay, Dec 3, 2003
  12. Rob

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:01:29 +0000 (UTC), "Rob" <> wrote:

    : Given that I make a small amount of money with each
    : registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains (£25
    : each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
    : here)...

    No! Hogwash. Advise the client properly.

    An Insurance salesman shouldn't sell $1m term assurance to a 18-year old
    bachelor, even if asked for....

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Dec 3, 2003
  13. "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
    > >
    > > my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
    > > just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
    > > wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

    > I will, without delay. Its shitty, cause she is a whiner, and she
    > *explicitly said* tell me everything you think, about my choices and
    > decisions on all matters relating to my website.
    >
    > I had to sit through a 30 minute lecture on the phone about it... She

    wakes
    > me up at the crack of dawn on saturday mornings (i work from home) and

    calls
    > on sundays too. Her old web designer wont work with her... you know the
    > type.
    >
    > I was hoping (tongue in cheek) to get a list of coments from people here,
    > which I could pass on to her... something along the lines of domain hog

    etc
    > hehe

    If you don't get on with your clients then why are you selling them
    services?

    You don't have to LIKE your client .. You just have to do business with them
    .... Get used to it or get out !!

    Not in my trousers, Dec 4, 2003
  14. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > If you don't get on with your clients then why are you selling them
    > services?
    >
    > You don't have to LIKE your client .. You just have to do business with

    them
    > ... Get used to it or get out !!

    Either youve just been bitten, or project onto others the assumption of
    ignorance regarding matters of consultancy or the management of my time in
    relation to my clients.

    I have walked away from several projects, totaling about 5k's worth of
    business. The reason being I am careful where I invest my energies, as are
    we all. If you are not being careful yourself, then you should be.

    This fish slipped through the net.

    Rob, Dec 4, 2003
  15. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > Sounds to me that your best bet is to finish your contracted services with
    > her and drop her. She'll hopfully soon realize that her attitude isn't

    going
    > to get her product sold when she keeps shoving her contractors around. Do
    > what you can to make your money and tell her that's that.

    I feel it my responsibility to serve her, as it was my choice to take her
    on. I am always as careful as possible when taking on clients. The good news
    is she apologised at length :) and I didn't even have to bring out the
    gimp.. :p

    Rob, Dec 4, 2003
  16. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > No! Hogwash. Advise the client properly.

    Yeah, the thing is I try to tell all my clients whats best for them, not
    whats best for me. When they turn around and say I am only thinking of
    myself... thats the real kicker. I always advise clients with their
    interests in mind, not mine.

    > An Insurance salesman shouldn't sell $1m term assurance to a 18-year old

    You obviously never met the breasts which were attached to an 18 year old
    lap dancer I once met :p

    Rob, Dec 4, 2003
  17. Rob

    Jay Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > Sounds to me that your best bet is to finish your contracted services

    with
    > > her and drop her. She'll hopfully soon realize that her attitude isn't

    > going
    > > to get her product sold when she keeps shoving her contractors around.

    Do
    > > what you can to make your money and tell her that's that.

    > I feel it my responsibility to serve her, as it was my choice to take her
    > on. I am always as careful as possible when taking on clients. The good

    news
    > is she apologised at length :) and I didn't even have to bring out the
    > gimp.. :p

    Good thing. I HATE waking up the gimp.

    Jay, Dec 4, 2003
  18. Rob wrote:
    Someone said:
    >> An Insurance salesman shouldn't sell $1m term assurance to a 18-year
    >> old

    > You obviously never met the breasts which were attached to an 18 year
    > old lap dancer I once met :p

    Public liability is a different issue altogether ;o)

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 4, 2003
  19. Rob

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:01:29 +0000 (UTC), "Rob" <> wrote:

    >Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
    >that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
    >domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...

    It's not your call, and it's not even her call either. If these three
    different names will appeal to different visitors, then let her go for
    them.

    Explain that it's 3x the price for 3x the domains and there's no bulk
    reductions. But after that it's her dollar, so let her choose what to
    do.

    You're there to build web sites, you're not there as a marketing
    consultant, nor to run her business for her. Trying to do so, when you
    clearly don't have the _control_ to do so effectively, simply
    infuriates both of you.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 5, 2003
  20. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > >Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
    > >that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
    > >domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...

    > It's not your call, and it's not even her call either. If these three
    > different names will appeal to different visitors, then let her go for
    > them.
    >
    > Explain that it's 3x the price for 3x the domains and there's no bulk
    > reductions. But after that it's her dollar, so let her choose what to
    > do.
    >
    > You're there to build web sites, you're not there as a marketing
    > consultant, nor to run her business for her. Trying to do so, when you
    > clearly don't have the _control_ to do so effectively, simply
    > infuriates both of you.

    You're right you know. I shall adjust my puppet strings accordingly ;)

    Rob, Dec 5, 2003