Personal Web Site starter kit question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?bWFj?=, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    I dont have sql 2005 express on my machine. Instead i have sql server 2005
    CTP. When i build and run the website, i get following error. What are
    necessory steps required to run site.

    Server Error in '/WebSite3' Application

    Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
    operation or the server is not responding.

    SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:

    The connection string specifies a local SQL Server Express instance using a
    database location within the applications App_Data directory. The provider
    attempted to automatically create the application services database because
    the provider determined that the database does not exist. The following
    configuration requirements are necessary to successfully check for existence
    of the application services database and automatically create the application
    services database:

    If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist, the web
    server account must have read and write access to the applications directory.
    This is necessary because the web server account will automatically create
    the App_Data directory if it does not already exist.
    If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web server
    account only requires read access to the applications App_Data directory.
    This is necessary because the web server account will attempt to verify that
    the SQL Server Express database already exists within the applications
    App_Data directory. Note that revoking read access on the App_Data directory
    from the web server account will prevent the provider from correctly
    determining if the SQL Server Express database already exists. This will
    cause an error when SQL Server Express attempts to create a duplicate of an
    already existing database.
    SQL Server Express must be installed on the machine.
    If the application services database does not already exist, the SQL Server
    Express service account must have read and write access to the applications
    App_Data directory. This is necessary because the SQL Server Express service
    account will create the application services database.
    The web server account used to connect to SQL Server Express must have
    rights to create a new database.
    When using the local web server(Cassini) installed with Visual Studio, the
    logged-in user needs the dbcreator privilege in the appropriate SQL Server
    Express instance.
    When using IIS, the process account needs the dbcreator privilege in the
    appropriate SQL Server Express instance. Only consider granting a process
    account dbcreator privilege on secure development machines. Do not grant the
    dbcreator privilege on production machines without fully investigating and
    understanding the security ramifications of running a production web server
    with the dbcreator privilege. The process account requiring dbcreator
    privilege varies depending on operating system platform and ASP.NET
    configuration settings:
    For IIS5, and IIS6 running in IIS5 isolation mode, the default web server
    account is the local ASPNET machine account.
    For IIS6 native mode, the default web server account is NETWORK SERVICE.
    If application impersonation is enabled, then the application impersonation
    account requires the dbcreator privilege.
    If an explicit account was specified for the web server process (either in
    the <processModel> element for IIS5 and IIS5 isolation mode, or the
    application pool account on IIS6), then the explicit account requires the
    dbcreator privilege.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed
    prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
    exception, Boolean breakConnection) +684691

    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
    stateObj) +207
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
    Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String
    protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean
    encrypt, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean
    aliasLookup) +890

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
    owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
    Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +601
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(SqlConnectionString
    connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection
    owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +159

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
    options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
    owningConnection) +108

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +27
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection) +47
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
    System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String
    user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +67

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to connect to SQL Server database.]
    System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String
    user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +123
    System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String server,
    String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString,
    String database, String dbFileName, SqlFeatures features, Boolean install) +90
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.EnsureValidMdfFile(String
    fullFileName, String dataDir, String connectionString) +345

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFj?=, Sep 9, 2005

  2. re:
    >What are necessory steps required to run site.
    > i have sql server 2005 CTP.

    Which CTP ?

    If it's the June CTP, see this thread for the answer :

    http://forums.asp.net/981488/ShowPost.aspx

    That solution might even work for a later CTP.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 9, 2005