    challenging.

    Python: Algol for the 21st century?

    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Mar 6, 2006

  2. Terry Reedy

    Kay Schluehr Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    > http://campus.acm.org/public/pressroom/press_releases/3_2006/turing_3_01_2006.cfm
    >
    > Peter Naur was co-developer of Backus/Naur grammar notation, co-author and
    > editor of the Algol 60 specification, and co-developer of a successful
    > Algol compiler.

    That's very fine. Peter Naur has to be honored before he dies and Algol
    gets forgotten forever. Sarkasm mode off. Is it just me who thinks that
    this grand-old-man gala should be cancelled and replaced by a fields
    medal mode where the jury has to prove that it is a little more up to
    date? Maybe being at age of 50 would be good upper limit ( our
    societies grow older ;) This mode would enable to honor Simon Peyton
    Jones and Philip Wadler for Haskell and introducing monads to Haskell
    before the language is phased out in 20+ years.
    Kay Schluehr, Mar 7, 2006

  3. Kay Schluehr wrote:
    > Terry Reedy wrote:
    >
    >>http://campus.acm.org/public/pressroom/press_releases/3_2006/turing_3_01_2006.cfm
    >>
    >>Peter Naur was co-developer of Backus/Naur grammar notation, co-author and
    >>editor of the Algol 60 specification, and co-developer of a successful
    >>Algol compiler.

    > That's very fine. Peter Naur has to be honored before he dies and Algol
    > gets forgotten forever. Sarkasm mode off. Is it just me who thinks that
    > this grand-old-man gala should be cancelled and replaced by a fields
    > medal mode where the jury has to prove that it is a little more up to
    > date? Maybe being at age of 50 would be good upper limit ( our
    > societies grow older ;) This mode would enable to honor Simon Peyton
    > Jones and Philip Wadler for Haskell and introducing monads to Haskell
    > before the language is phased out in 20+ years.

    Without detracting from the last sentence, I disagree.

    Peter Naur's honour is long overdue.

    Colin W.
    Colin J. Williams, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Colin J. Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> Terry Reedy wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://campus.acm.org/public/pressroom/press_releases/3_2006/turing_3_01_2006.cfm
    >>>
    >>>Peter Naur was co-developer of Backus/Naur grammar notation, co-author
    >>>and
    >>>editor of the Algol 60 specification, and co-developer of a successful
    >>>Algol compiler.

    > Peter Naur's honour is long overdue.

    That was my reaction also, tempered by three observations.

    1. I do not have enough detailed knowledge of who invented what when to
    judge details of credit allocation.

    2. The importance of Algol60 (and the impetus of the award) is not its
    usage in the 60s but the dominance of the family of languages it inspired,
    including, at least in some important parts, Python. But this has been a
    gradual development. So when did the award become 'due', to make it
    'overdue' now? (I would say by 1990, at least.)

    3. To call it overdue suggests that it should have been awarded before,
    *instead of* to someone else. But I am not about to suggest which of the
    previous (worthy, I am sure) recipients he should have been instead of ;-).

    Nobel's will specificed awards for the most important contribution in the
    previous year. The Nobel committees recognized that this is ludicrous in
    that recognition of importance can take decades.

    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Mar 7, 2006
  5. Terry Reedy

    Kay Schluehr Guest

    Colin J. Williams wrote:

    > Without detracting from the last sentence, I disagree.
    >
    > Peter Naur's honour is long overdue.
    >
    > Colin W.

    Sometimes it's hard for me to figure out about what somebody else
    disagrees with me in particular when I agree with him.

    Is it possible that Peter Naur was forgotten when John Backus received
    the Turing Award right in time in 1977?

    Kay
    Kay Schluehr, Mar 7, 2006
  6. Terry Reedy

    James Stroud Guest

    Kay Schluehr wrote:
    > Colin J. Williams wrote:
    >

    >>Without detracting from the last sentence, I disagree.
    >>
    >>Peter Naur's honour is long overdue.
    >>
    >>Colin W.

    > Sometimes it's hard for me to figure out about what somebody else
    > disagrees with me in particular when I agree with him.
    >
    > Is it possible that Peter Naur was forgotten when John Backus received
    > the Turing Award right in time in 1977?
    >
    > Kay

    If you are going to publish, its important to choose a last name that
    starts with a letter at the front of the alphabet, lest you languish
    indefinitely in anonymity like Peter Naur.

    James

    --
    James Stroud
    Box 951570

    http://www.jamesstroud.com/
    James Stroud, Mar 7, 2006
  7. Kay Schluehr wrote:
    > Colin J. Williams wrote:
    >

    >>Without detracting from the last sentence, I disagree.
    >>
    >>Peter Naur's honour is long overdue.
    >>
    >>Colin W.

    > Sometimes it's hard for me to figure out about what somebody else
    > disagrees with me in particular when I agree with him.

    Kay,
    You wrote:
    "That's very fine. Peter Naur has to be honored before he dies and Algol
    gets forgotten forever. Sarkasm mode off. Is it just me who thinks that
    this grand-old-man gala should be cancelled and replaced by a fields
    medal mode where the jury has to prove that it is a little more up to
    date? Maybe being at age of 50 would be good upper limit ( our
    societies grow older ;) This mode would enable to honor Simon Peyton
    Jones and Philip Wadler for Haskell and introducing monads to Haskell
    before the language is phased out in 20+ years."

    Perhaps I should have been careful to identify what I disagreed with.

    > Is it possible that Peter Naur was forgotten when John Backus received
    > the Turing Award right in time in 1977?
    >
    > Kay

    John Backus of IBM made a very different contribution with the
    development of the FORTRAN compiler.

    The Algol60 Report was more than BNF, although that was an important
    component.

    Best wishes,

    Colin W.
    Colin J. Williams, Mar 7, 2006