pexpect on windows - child process of another child process - quickquestion

Discussion in 'Python' started by Z W, Mar 9, 2013.

  1. Z W

    Z W Guest

    Hi All

    We have a windows application to install on console mode typing on
    cygwin shell "app.exe -i console"
    On Windows process window, we could see this kicks a process named ia
    which in turn kicks off ia_launcher to kick off another java.exe
    process.
    ie

    app.exe -- kick off --> ia --> kicks off --> ia_launcher --kicks off
    --> java.exe

    We like to use pexpect to interact with the ia_launcher process, which
    seems to control the stdin/stdout of its own shell window to allow
    user to enter responses.
    So far, our research shows most examples are related to use of direct
    child process, in this case, app.exe process interacting with pexpect.

    How do we go about using pexpect to talk to app.exe's grandchild's
    shell window ?

    We set Don L's expect example where he could "set id $spawn_id"
    between direct child processes but it's still to us how we can
    accomplish our goal.

    Thanks for your kind help
    Sincerely
    Z W, Mar 9, 2013