    possible that in the days to come , they come up with a
    version of IIS which does not support classical ASP.
    Does anyone know when that is supposed to happen?

    Kaushik Dutta, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Kaushik Dutta

    Foo Man Chew Guest

    > operating systems/web servers? For example, they have
    > already stopped mainstream support for the main tool used
    > to build ASP pages (Visual Interdev).

    I don't know what you mean. Is there anything that Visual InterDev does for
    ASP that can't be done in Visual Studio.net or Visual Studio.net 2003?

    Foo Man Chew, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Kaushik Dutta

    Mark Schupp Guest

    I think he is more concerned about IIS no longer supporting ASP. We can
    always use notepad to create scripts if VS goes away or somehow stops
    supporting plain text.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Dec 26, 2003
  4. > I think he is more concerned about IIS no longer supporting ASP. We can
    > always use notepad to create scripts if VS goes away or somehow stops
    > supporting plain text.

    Oh, I understand that... I just don't understand why he thinks Visual
    Interdev is "the main tool used to build ASP pages" ... surely he's heard of
    its newer versions, which *do* continue to be supported.

    freaky friday, Dec 26, 2003
  5. I know of no plans in the immediate future. Note that you can edit ASP in
    VS.NET, so the phasing out of VID is not a big deal.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 26, 2003
  6. "Kaushik Dutta" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know when MS is going to phase out suppport
    > for ASP (not asp.NET, but classical ASP) in their
    > operating systems/web servers? For example, they have
    > already stopped mainstream support for the main tool used
    > to build ASP pages (Visual Interdev). It is very much
    > possible that in the days to come , they come up with a
    > version of IIS which does not support classical ASP.
    > Does anyone know when that is supposed to happen?

    Classic ASP is supported in Windows 2003 and has **totally** been rewritten
    and improved at same areas (such as unicode support). I don't believe that
    MS would do that if, they phase it out... Of course, they'd love us all to
    go over to ASP.NET

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Dec 26, 2003
  7. Kaushik Dutta

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 07:09:10 -0800, "Kaushik Dutta"
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know when MS is going to phase out suppport
    >for ASP (not asp.NET, but classical ASP) in their
    >operating systems/web servers? For example, they have
    >already stopped mainstream support for the main tool used
    >to build ASP pages (Visual Interdev). It is very much
    >possible that in the days to come , they come up with a
    >version of IIS which does not support classical ASP.
    >Does anyone know when that is supposed to happen?

    Not for the forseeable future. ASP is in Server 2003, and since 40%
    of servers still run NT4, you're looking at probably a decade of ASP
    availability even if no future OS included it.

    As for InterDev, it's been superseded by VisualStudio. Not that it
    was ever the "main tool" for ASP creation, but VS works fine for
    Classic ASP development.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 26, 2003
  8. "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 07:09:10 -0800, "Kaushik Dutta"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > Not for the forseeable future. ASP is in Server 2003, and since 40%
    > of servers still run NT4, you're looking at probably a decade of ASP
    > availability even if no future OS included it.

    Hi Jeff,

    Just curious... Sources about this number?

    cheers

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Dec 27, 2003
  9. Hi everybody
    Thanks a lot.
    I will tell you the background where I came from when I asked this
    question.
    I REALLY need to convince a client to move from classic ASP to ASP.NET
    and the .NET framework in general.
    Now, performance enhancements , maintainability and other benefits
    notwithstanding, clients nowadays are wary of investing in new
    technologies and revamping a working application.
    Developers , on the other hand, are itching to have a go at the bleeding
    edge stuff.
    The client might give it a serious thought if he comes to know that a
    particular technology is being phased out.
    That is why, I was trying to find out if such a thing is on the anvil.
    Thanks everyone for the information provided.
    regards
    Kaushik

    Kaushik Dutta, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Kaushik Dutta

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:49:34 -0800, Kaushik Dutta
    <> wrote:

    >Hi everybody
    >Thanks a lot.
    >I will tell you the background where I came from when I asked this
    >question.
    >I REALLY need to convince a client to move from classic ASP to ASP.NET
    >and the .NET framework in general.
    >Now, performance enhancements , maintainability and other benefits
    >notwithstanding, clients nowadays are wary of investing in new
    >technologies and revamping a working application.
    >Developers , on the other hand, are itching to have a go at the bleeding
    >edge stuff.
    >The client might give it a serious thought if he comes to know that a
    >particular technology is being phased out.
    >That is why, I was trying to find out if such a thing is on the anvil.

    So lie to your client. Our vendors seem to do it regularly.

    As a client, I would resist recoding and changing technology on a
    working application until the point where there are distinct benefits
    to moving. If performance isn't an issue (maintainability isn't an
    issue for the client, that's the developer's problem...), and there
    isn't a compelling reason to change, they won't. And probably
    shouldn't.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 22, 2004