phasing out asp support

Kaushik Dutta

Does anyone know when MS is going to phase out suppport
for ASP (not asp.NET, but classical ASP) in their
operating systems/web servers? For example, they have
already stopped mainstream support for the main tool used
to build ASP pages (Visual Interdev). It is very much
possible that in the days to come , they come up with a
version of IIS which does not support classical ASP.
Does anyone know when that is supposed to happen?

Foo Man Chew

operating systems/web servers? For example, they have
already stopped mainstream support for the main tool used
to build ASP pages (Visual Interdev).

I don't know what you mean. Is there anything that Visual InterDev does for
ASP that can't be done in Visual Studio.net or Visual Studio.net 2003?

Mark Schupp

I think he is more concerned about IIS no longer supporting ASP. We can
always use notepad to create scripts if VS goes away or somehow stops
supporting plain text.

freaky friday

I think he is more concerned about IIS no longer supporting ASP. We can
always use notepad to create scripts if VS goes away or somehow stops
supporting plain text.

Oh, I understand that... I just don't understand why he thinks Visual
Interdev is "the main tool used to build ASP pages" ... surely he's heard of
its newer versions, which *do* continue to be supported.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I know of no plans in the immediate future. Note that you can edit ASP in
VS.NET, so the phasing out of VID is not a big deal.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Kaushik Dutta said:
Does anyone know when MS is going to phase out suppport
for ASP (not asp.NET, but classical ASP) in their
operating systems/web servers? For example, they have
already stopped mainstream support for the main tool used
to build ASP pages (Visual Interdev). It is very much
possible that in the days to come , they come up with a
version of IIS which does not support classical ASP.
Does anyone know when that is supposed to happen?

Classic ASP is supported in Windows 2003 and has **totally** been rewritten
and improved at same areas (such as unicode support). I don't believe that
MS would do that if, they phase it out... Of course, they'd love us all to
go over to ASP.NET

Jeff Cochran

Does anyone know when MS is going to phase out suppport
for ASP (not asp.NET, but classical ASP) in their
operating systems/web servers? For example, they have
already stopped mainstream support for the main tool used
to build ASP pages (Visual Interdev). It is very much
possible that in the days to come , they come up with a
version of IIS which does not support classical ASP.
Does anyone know when that is supposed to happen?

Not for the forseeable future. ASP is in Server 2003, and since 40%
of servers still run NT4, you're looking at probably a decade of ASP
availability even if no future OS included it.

As for InterDev, it's been superseded by VisualStudio. Not that it
was ever the "main tool" for ASP creation, but VS works fine for
Classic ASP development.

Jeff

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Jeff Cochran said:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 07:09:10 -0800, "Kaushik Dutta"

Not for the forseeable future. ASP is in Server 2003, and since 40%
of servers still run NT4, you're looking at probably a decade of ASP
availability even if no future OS included it.

Hi Jeff,

Just curious... Sources about this number?

cheers

Kaushik Dutta

Hi everybody
Thanks a lot.
I will tell you the background where I came from when I asked this
question.
I REALLY need to convince a client to move from classic ASP to ASP.NET
and the .NET framework in general.
Now, performance enhancements , maintainability and other benefits
notwithstanding, clients nowadays are wary of investing in new
technologies and revamping a working application.
Developers , on the other hand, are itching to have a go at the bleeding
edge stuff.
The client might give it a serious thought if he comes to know that a
particular technology is being phased out.
That is why, I was trying to find out if such a thing is on the anvil.
Thanks everyone for the information provided.
regards
Kaushik

Jeff Cochran

Hi everybody
Thanks a lot.
I will tell you the background where I came from when I asked this
question.
I REALLY need to convince a client to move from classic ASP to ASP.NET
and the .NET framework in general.
Now, performance enhancements , maintainability and other benefits
notwithstanding, clients nowadays are wary of investing in new
technologies and revamping a working application.
Developers , on the other hand, are itching to have a go at the bleeding
edge stuff.
The client might give it a serious thought if he comes to know that a
particular technology is being phased out.
That is why, I was trying to find out if such a thing is on the anvil.

So lie to your client. Our vendors seem to do it regularly.

As a client, I would resist recoding and changing technology on a
working application until the point where there are distinct benefits
to moving. If performance isn't an issue (maintainability isn't an
issue for the client, that's the developer's problem...), and there
isn't a compelling reason to change, they won't. And probably
shouldn't.

Jeff