phone cannot access mobile web app..why???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by James Nong, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. James Nong

    James Nong Guest

    I built an ASP.NET mobile web application last year for fun and hosted
    it on my home server. I was successful in accessing it with my Sprint
    phone, which uses the "Obigo 1.1.4 WAP 2.0" browser. Now, I'm with
    Verizon and my current phone also uses an Openwave WAP 2.0 browser, but
    I cannot access my mobile web site. When I punch in the URL, it hangs
    for long time, then it gives me the error "Error: Request timed out".

    I asked a friend who is with AT&T to try it on his cell phone, and it
    works. So, my app is working. I dont know if it's a problem with my
    new phone's browser software (do I need to upgrade it?), or with the
    Verizon service (maybe they block something on their network).

    Another concern is that my home internet service provider blocks port 80
    on our network. So i had to use another port, like 81. So to access my
    web app, the URL would be something like http://myapp.mydomain.com:81.
    Could it be that my phone's browser does not recognize this non-default
    port?

    Any ideas? Anyone with Verizon that is able to successful access .NET
    mobile web apps?

    James Nong, Mar 19, 2006

  2. James Nong

    kapilp Guest

    i would suggest downloading the openwave emulator to see if you get the same
    problem on the emulator. if you do not, then it could be an issue with
    verizon's connectivity with your site and not the browser.

    also, try connecting from another verizon phone and see what happens.
    --
    Thank You,
    Kapil Pershad

    kapilp, Mar 29, 2006