phone number backtracking

jtbutler78

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the digits out of a phone
number where the area code is optional. I have a feeling that there
is backtracking involved but I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

This is what I have so far - it works for 10 digits not 7.
$phone = '123-123-1234';
$phone = '123-1234';

($area_cd,$prefix,$extension) = $phone =~ /(?<=(\d{3}) \-) (\d{3}) \-
(\d{4}) /x;

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the digits out of a phone
number where the area code is optional. I have a feeling that there
is backtracking involved but I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

This is what I have so far - it works for 10 digits not 7.
$phone = '123-123-1234';
$phone = '123-1234';

($area_cd,$prefix,$extension) = $phone =~ /(?<=(\d{3}) \-) (\d{3}) \-
(\d{4}) /x;

What you tried is called a zero-width positive look-behind assertion. I
can't see why that would be needed; simple non-capturing parentheses and
the ? quantifier should do.

Try:

jtbutler78

What you tried is called a zero-width positive look-behind assertion. I
can't see why that would be needed; simple non-capturing parentheses and
the ? quantifier should do.

Try:

Thanks. I actually found something similar after I posted this. You
solution is better then the one I can up with.