    looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    solution. TIA

    Frogleg, May 4, 2004

  2. "Frogleg" <> wrote in message news:...
    : I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    : cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show. I just
    : looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    : 'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    : solution. TIA
    :
    This may be of interest. Our CMS template and custom tags system can help
    you do this with ease and quickly.

    In your slideshow.html page just define a TOPIC tag, like

    &lt;!--@topic slide 1 photos.txt@-->

    You list the location of all pictures in the photos.txt file.

    In the thumbnails.html page you can define HREF links to specific slides
    with URLs like so,

    slideshow.html?slide=5 or slideshow.html?slide=monkey

    You can automate the Next/Previous slide links by using additional TOPIC
    tags. That is all it takes and you are done. If you need to add more pictures,
    just update photos.txt, thumbnails.html and the Next/Prev link files.

    It may be worth your while to check out our services.

    Long
    www.webcharm.ca - Integrated content management web hosting

    Long - CM web hosting, May 4, 2004

  3. Quoth the raven named Long - CM web hosting:

    > "Frogleg" <> wrote in message news:...
    > : I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    > : cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show. I just
    > : looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    > : 'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    > : solution. TIA
    > :
    > This may be of interest. Our CMS template and custom tags system can help
    > you do this with ease and quickly.

    Please don't be afraid to mention that frogleg will have to move his
    web site to your server, the only place your Webcharmed CMS will work.
    Thanks for your consideration.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 4, 2004
  4. Frogleg

    Augustus Guest

    "Frogleg" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    > cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show. I just
    > looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    > 'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    > solution. TIA

    It might noe be so bad to do it yourself... I wrote one earlier this year
    in ASP and it only wound up being 15 lines of code plus another 7 to declare
    the variables and set the file system objects (probably even fewer lines of
    code in PHP)
    (it shows thumbnails, has an enlarged preview pic and opens the preview pic
    full sized if clicked on)

    If you don't know any server side languages this would probably be a good
    project to learn by for any language: its not too complex and covers a good
    diversity of topics (reading files off the server, looping, writing output,
    checking conditionals)

    Augustus, May 4, 2004
  5. On Tue, 04 May 2004 14:15:48 +0000 Long - CM web hosting proclaimed:

    > In your slideshow.html page just define a TOPIC tag, like
    >
    > &lt;!--@topic slide 1 photos.txt@-->

    and earlier

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:42:32 +0000 Long - CM web hosting confessed:

    > This may or may not help you, but you can do this easily using the CMS
    > template and custom tags system provided at webcharm.ca. I use this to
    > grab the value of any query string variable.
    >
    > &lt;!--@qsvalue sessionid@-->

    Let me guess. I want to generate PDF from HTML. I guess I could just use
    webcharm.ca and have a custom tag like:

    &lt;!--@transform inputfile.html outputfile.pdf@-->

    Is there anything you cannot do with this one line of pseudocode?

    David

    David Christopher Weichert, May 4, 2004
  6. "David Christopher Weichert" <> wrote in message
    : On Tue, 04 May 2004 14:15:48 +0000 Long - CM web hosting proclaimed:
    :
    : > In your slideshow.html page just define a TOPIC tag, like
    : >
    : > &lt;!--@topic slide 1 photos.txt@-->
    : >
    : >
    :
    : and earlier
    :
    : On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:42:32 +0000 Long - CM web hosting confessed:
    : >
    : > This may or may not help you, but you can do this easily using the CMS
    : > template and custom tags system provided at webcharm.ca. I use this to
    : > grab the value of any query string variable.
    : >
    : > &lt;!--@qsvalue sessionid@-->
    : >
    : >
    : Let me guess. I want to generate PDF from HTML. I guess I could just use
    : webcharm.ca and have a custom tag like:
    :
    : &lt;!--@transform inputfile.html outputfile.pdf@-->
    :
    Such a tag is not yet available but can be provided if needed.

    : Is there anything you cannot do with this one line of pseudocode?
    :
    Of course there are limitations in terms of what can be done with templates and
    custom tags, but what I have referred to are doable and real.

    The reason I use &lt; instead of < is because my outlook keeps on trasforming
    the tag mark up to URL link. Besides that, there is nothing pseudo about the
    CMS template and custom tags system available as part of our hosting service.

    If you want proof you can try out our services FREE for 30-days.

    Cheers,

    Long - CM web hosting, May 4, 2004
  7. In article <>, Frogleg says...
    > I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    > cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show. I just
    > looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    > 'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    > solution. TIA

    I have a series of PHP scripts that scan a directory structure (defined
    by you) and creates thumbnails on the fly. It requires the GD2 library,
    but can work with GD. When adding new photos you just upload the JPEGs
    to a new or existing directory and the script does the rest. All you
    need to do is upload a logo image (or remove the reference from the
    code) and set the path to your photos. Drop me an E if you want it.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, May 4, 2004
  8. Frogleg wrote:

    >I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    >cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show. I just
    >looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    >'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    >solution. TIA

    There are many tools to do this, a good number of them freeware.

    The best solution, IMO, is JAlbum, http://jalbum.net/. It is freeware,
    and runs on Windows/Mac/Linux. It's a Java app, but you can download
    an installer for windows with the java runtime included, so it's
    pretty painless. Out of the box you can pick from a number of
    different skins (appearances). Or with a little effort, you can change
    the HTML templates and scripting, and create your own appearance, or
    extend it in various ways. You can see examples at the site. Highly
    recommended.

    Just to be clear: this runs on your own PC, and creates a website (or
    portion of a website). You then upload the created files to your web
    hosting service.

    An alternative approach is to have an application that runs on the web
    server, that creates the pages "on the fly". With this approach, you
    just upload your picture files to some directory on your web server,
    and everything else happens automatically. Some of the other posts
    were suggesting this approach. I don't have experience with these, so
    no comments -- I'm just pointing out the two broad approaches.

    Terry

    Terry Orchard, May 4, 2004
  9. Frogleg

    Huss Guest

    Frogleg wrote:
    > I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    > cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show. I just
    > looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    > 'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    > solution. TIA

    http://gallery.sourceforge.net

    Free, easy and works very well. It may seem a little overwhelming at
    first, but the support documents are very helpful as well as the forum
    on the site.

    Huss, May 4, 2004
  10. In article Terry Orchard wrote:
    > Frogleg wrote:
    >
    > >I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    > >cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show. I just
    > >looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    > >'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    > >solution. TIA

    > There are many tools to do this, a good number of them freeware.
    >
    > The best solution, IMO, is JAlbum, http://jalbum.net/. It is freeware,
    > and runs on Windows/Mac/Linux. It's a Java app, but you can download
    > an installer for windows with the java runtime included, so it's
    > pretty painless. Out of the box you can pick from a number of
    > different skins (appearances).

    All skins out of box are examples of horrible HTML with stupid CSS.
    It being java thing means it is slow.

    > Or with a little effort, you can change
    > the HTML templates and scripting, and create your own appearance, or
    > extend it in various ways. You can see examples at the site. Highly
    > recommended.

    IMHO, could be easier...

    > Just to be clear: this runs on your own PC, and creates a website (or
    > portion of a website). You then upload the created files to your web
    > hosting service.

    Of course, you can run it in server, if that is allowed and server has
    new enaugh java. That's what I do. (No server side thingys available,
    exept .htaccess for password protecting only)

    I'm looking for work | Etsin työtä

    Lauri Raittila, May 4, 2004
  11. On Tue, 04 May 2004 16:36:25 +0000 Long - CM web hosting posted:

    > "David Christopher Weichert" <> wrote in message
    >
    > : Let me guess. I want to generate PDF from HTML. I guess I could just :
    > use
    > : webcharm.ca and have a custom tag like: :
    > : &lt;!--@transform inputfile.html outputfile.pdf@--> :
    > Such a tag is not yet available but can be provided if needed.

    You would have to address the problem of structural transformation.

    > : Is there anything you cannot do with this one line of pseudocode? :
    > Of course there are limitations in terms of what can be done with
    > templates and custom tags, but what I have referred to are doable and
    > real.

    Sure, can be done different ways. Why use webcharm and pay $24.95/month
    when I can have PHP/MySQL or Zope?

    > The reason I use &lt; instead of < is because my outlook keeps on
    > trasforming the tag mark up to URL link.

    Your preferred usenet client shows me that userfriendliness is not your
    number one priority. Isn't it an awful lot of hassle having to explain
    your entity substitute for an angle bracket?

    > Besides that, there is nothing
    > pseudo about the CMS template and custom tags system available as part
    > of our hosting service.
    >
    > If you want proof you can try out our services FREE for 30-days.

    Give me a better reason than spending my valuable time on something that
    looks like a simple replace this <!-- comment --> with something, almost
    anything will do this.

    regards
    David

    David Christopher Weichert, May 4, 2004
  12. "David Christopher Weichert" <> wrote in message
    : On Tue, 04 May 2004 16:36:25 +0000 Long - CM web hosting posted:
    :
    : > "David Christopher Weichert" <> wrote in message
    : > news:p...
    : >
    : > : Let me guess. I want to generate PDF from HTML. I guess I could just :
    : > use
    : > : webcharm.ca and have a custom tag like: :
    : > : &lt;!--@transform inputfile.html outputfile.pdf@--> :
    : > Such a tag is not yet available but can be provided if needed.
    :
    : You would have to address the problem of structural transformation.
    :
    I didn't say it would be easy but I think it is possible given the number
    of available transformation tools. You can do quite a bit with server-side.
    It is a matter of integrating the functionality and making it work.

    : > : Is there anything you cannot do with this one line of pseudocode? :
    : > Of course there are limitations in terms of what can be done with
    : > templates and custom tags, but what I have referred to are doable and
    : > real.
    :
    : Sure, can be done different ways. Why use webcharm and pay $24.95/month
    : when I can have PHP/MySQL or Zope?
    :
    Of course there are more than one way. You can have PHP or whatever that is
    your choice if you prefer to write more code. There are much more value to our
    hosting plans than today's typical web hosting packages. Among other things, we
    offer ready-to-use features that help you to be productive right away, instead of
    having every available technologies and leaving you with a code-aholic syndrome.

    If you want to write another program and re-invent the wheel, more power to you.
    I can create the framework of an available feature for a site within an hour. This
    leave me plenty of time to work on content and design. Can you do the same with
    what you have?

    : > The reason I use &lt; instead of < is because my outlook keeps on
    : > trasforming the tag mark up to URL link.
    :
    : Your preferred usenet client shows me that userfriendliness is not your
    : number one priority. Isn't it an awful lot of hassle having to explain
    : your entity substitute for an angle bracket?
    :
    It sucks, and I do admit it. No thanks to moneysoft.

    : > Besides that, there is nothing
    : > pseudo about the CMS template and custom tags system available as part
    : > of our hosting service.
    : >
    : > If you want proof you can try out our services FREE for 30-days.
    :
    : Give me a better reason than spending my valuable time on something that
    : looks like a simple replace this <!-- comment --> with something, almost
    : anything will do this.
    :
    I don't think I can since your mind is already made up. I did say it is a templating
    and custom tags sytem. That is exactly what it does, text substitution. It is however
    only a sub-system of our CMS.

    Besides simple text, there are tags that do more complicated things, for example,
    o list N user files stored in the MySQL database
    o list N available forums, start threads and thread headers
    o list N forum search matches
    o list N products for an online shopping cart
    o display user account information
    o display specific user record field
    o and the list goes on...

    Can you imagine what parameters are needed to pass in to these tags? Database
    name, connection or SQL? NO, the parameter values are all presentational and
    there are almost no learning curve.

    Cheers,

    Long - CM web hosting, May 5, 2004
  13. Frogleg

    MeIsDavid Guest

    "Frogleg" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    > cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show. I just
    > looked at Thotor studio, but didn't find price mentioned. Also checked
    > 'hammering out thumbnails,' but I don't want to DIM -- want a canned
    > solution. TIA

    I had the same problem this week and I downloaded a php donateware solution
    called Gallery Thingie which is pretty good:
    http://www.solitude.dk/gallerythingie/

    I used it to build this (150 images):
    http://cranberrycorners.ca/david/gallery.php

    david

    Exceptional Gift Baskets Online!
    http://cranberrycorners.ca/home.shtml

    MeIsDavid, May 5, 2004
  14. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 01:17:47 GMT, "MeIsDavid" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frogleg" <> wrote

    >> I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    >> cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show.

    >I had the same problem this week and I downloaded a php donateware solution
    >called Gallery Thingie which is pretty good:
    >http://www.solitude.dk/gallerythingie/
    >
    >I used it to build this (150 images):
    >http://cranberrycorners.ca/david/gallery.php

    Thanks. It's a nice, clear display, but I need a thumbnail index.

    Frogleg, May 5, 2004
  15. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:47:22 -0500, Huss <>
    wrote:

    >Frogleg wrote:
    >> I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    >> cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show.

    >http://gallery.sourceforge.net
    >
    >Free, easy and works very well. It may seem a little overwhelming at
    >first, but the support documents are very helpful as well as the forum
    >on the site.

    Thanks. Looks nice. A little complex, but very professional-looking.
    Still, no thumbnail index.

    Frogleg, May 5, 2004
  16. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 17:50:25 GMT, Terry Orchard <>
    wrote:

    >Frogleg wrote:
    >
    >>I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    >>cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show.

    >There are many tools to do this, a good number of them freeware.
    >
    >The best solution, IMO, is JAlbum, http://jalbum.net/. It is freeware,
    >and runs on Windows/Mac/Linux. It's a Java app, but you can download
    >an installer for windows with the java runtime included, so it's
    >pretty painless.

    <snip>

    Thanks. This one looks good, too. Amazing what's available Out There.
    Wish I could take pictures that were as good as the software surround.
    :)

    Frogleg, May 5, 2004
  17. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 08:37:31 -0700, "Augustus"
    <> wrote:

    >"Frogleg" <> wrote

    >> I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    >> cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show.

    >It might noe be so bad to do it yourself...

    <snip>

    >If you don't know any server side languages this would probably be a good
    >project to learn by for any language: its not too complex and covers a good
    >diversity of topics (reading files off the server, looping, writing output,
    >checking conditionals)

    ARGHH! How did a person as lazy as I am get into a field where a new
    knoiwledge sub-set has to be mastered every 6 months? I could have
    gotten a degree in, say, middle-English lit, entered academia, and
    never had to read more than half-a-dozen papers a year.

    Yes, it *would* be a good learning project, and I'll keep that in
    mind. After I get through the material I'm studying now. Sigh.

    Frogleg, May 5, 2004
  18. Frogleg

    Huss Guest

    Frogleg wrote:

    > Thanks. Looks nice. A little complex, but very professional-looking.
    > Still, no thumbnail index.

    Uh, maybe we're talking about different things here, but Gallery
    automatically creates a thumbnail of the image you've uploaded. The
    size of the thumbnail is entirely up to you...you adjust that setting
    when you first install the app on your server.

    Huss

    Huss, May 5, 2004
  19. Frogleg

    wrote:

    >Frogleg wrote:
    >
    >>I'm getting too many pictures to post on a web site. Need a nice,
    >>cheap (free? hah!) app to link thumbnails and slide show.

    >The best solution, IMO, is JAlbum, http://jalbum.net/. It is freeware,

    This is what I went with. Terrific app. I created and uploaded an
    album within an hour, and should have one tailored with my own HTML
    today. Perfectly good 'out of the box' and easily customizable. Thanks
    *very* much for the suggestion.

    Frogleg, May 6, 2004
  20. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 17:40:14 -0500, Huss <>
    wrote:

    >Frogleg wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. Looks nice. A little complex, but very professional-looking.
    >> Still, no thumbnail index.

    >Uh, maybe we're talking about different things here, but Gallery
    >automatically creates a thumbnail of the image you've uploaded. The
    >size of the thumbnail is entirely up to you...you adjust that setting
    >when you first install the app on your server.

    Umm. I guess I looked at the wrong samples. The site is so slow it was
    hard to get around. I've bookmarked for the future. Thanks.

    Frogleg, May 6, 2004