    What are the implications of storing the images in a sql 2000 database vs.
    the web server? Does anybody have experience with this type of
    functionality? Thanks.

    bob garbados, Nov 2, 2004

  2. I created a similar web site. It's certainly feasible.
    You need to stay aware of the fact that some photos can be huge, which can
    cause bandwidth problems if you're not careful about building in
    scalability.

    Here's an article that should be useful to you:
    http://steve.orr.net/content/asp200307so_f.asp

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 2, 2004

  3. bob garbados

    bob garbados Guest

    Thanks Steve,

    You referred me to this article in response to a post of mine last week and
    it was a big help. I'm fairly new to .NET and I got stuck trying to resize
    images and display thumbnails. My page seemed to load fairly slow so I
    wanted to look at saving the files to the web server as well. I'm assuming
    that performance will be faster if the images live on the web server but
    that it's a better security model to allow the user to update the database
    rather than have access to the web server.

    As far as huge photos are concerned, I can check the size at upload time and
    not allow an upload if images are over a certain size.

    How can I ensure that I save the right thumbnail? I found that the
    System.Drawing.Image.GetThumbnailImage method will return a thumbnail
    embedded into the image if one exists. That thumbnail is usually pretty
    tiny.

    Can you lend insight into how I would go about displaying thumbnails? There
    can be 1 image or 20 images and I want to save a thumbnail version of the
    photo at upload time and display all of the thumbnails on one page of the
    website. Can I do this with a repeater or datagrid or datalist? I've
    always used a repeater to display data from a database because of it's
    simplicity.

    bob garbados, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Well that's a lot of questions.
    Here's an alternative to the GetThumbnailImage function so you don't have to
    deal with its limitations:
    http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22079

    As far as displaying the thumbnails in an organized way, I experimented with
    repeaters and other such techniques, but ultimately went with a Table
    control. The process is a bit more manual but it gave me all the
    functionality I could ever want, and it's quite logical and intuitive.
    I basically just looped through my images and dropped each one into a new
    table cell object.

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 2, 2004