    accessible web pages to a higher standard?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 12, 2007

  2. dorayme wrote:
    > In a moment of weakness, staring at unmanageable numbers of
    > pictures on my machine, I thought to take a peek on the auto web
    > photo generator in PS CS. Some of the options generated quite
    > good enough looking albums - at least off line in most browsers.
    >
    > One can fiddle about with the template html files provided (there
    > are just very few (this is prior to any actual generation). These
    > files contain bits and pieces that the inbuilt generator latches
    > onto to do its thing. I managed to remove a lot of table based
    > code as an experiment and this was encouraging. But a lot of the
    > stuff is based on iframes and much else that it would be nice to
    > be rid of.
    >
    > I suspect it is a bit of a lost cause but just wondered if anyone
    > has done anything interesting to make PS CS generate half decent
    > accessible web pages to a higher standard?

    Don't know about PS CS but if your dump the preset template in IrfanView
    you can make a custom template with HTML strict + CSS (I have for a
    CD-ROM project) for a much better price than PS, like $0.00

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 13, 2007

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <7d464$46e88685$40cba7b5$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In a moment of weakness, staring at unmanageable numbers of
    > > pictures on my machine, I thought to take a peek on the auto web
    > > photo generator in PS CS. Some of the options generated quite
    > > good enough looking albums - at least off line in most browsers.
    > >
    > > One can fiddle about with the template html files provided (there
    > > are just very few (this is prior to any actual generation). These
    > > files contain bits and pieces that the inbuilt generator latches
    > > onto to do its thing. I managed to remove a lot of table based
    > > code as an experiment and this was encouraging. But a lot of the
    > > stuff is based on iframes and much else that it would be nice to
    > > be rid of.
    > >
    > > I suspect it is a bit of a lost cause but just wondered if anyone
    > > has done anything interesting to make PS CS generate half decent
    > > accessible web pages to a higher standard?
    > >

    > Don't know about PS CS but if your dump the preset template in IrfanView
    > you can make a custom template with HTML strict + CSS (I have for a
    > CD-ROM project) for a much better price than PS, like $0.00

    If it is Mac compatible I will try it (I faintly recall it *not*
    being so ages ago). I suppose I could use my Winbox. Radical
    thought!

    If anyone has used a Mac compatible generator that is template
    customisable (not just with some options but with user being able
    to write the html and css without roadblocks), would not mind
    hearing about it.

    (btw. ... not a better price if you already use PS).

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 13, 2007
  4. dorayme wrote:

    > If it is Mac compatible I will try it (I faintly recall it *not*
    > being so ages ago). I suppose I could use my Winbox. Radical
    > thought!

    Nope!

    IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for
    non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista.

    See a MAC is all about choices...you don't see the scruffy little guy on
    tv talking about that. (those damn annoying MAC vs PC commercials
    running in the US) It is kind of why my Linux boxes are servers, but I
    must say the Ubuntu box I recently put together looks interesting. Got
    Wine to do some amazing things but is still is only about 50% complete
    and not ready for the average Joe.

    > If anyone has used a Mac compatible generator that is template
    > customisable (not just with some options but with user being able
    > to write the html and css without roadblocks), would not mind
    > hearing about it.
    >
    > (btw. ... not a better price if you already use PS).

    Of course after you have ponied up the big $$$$ to get it in the first
    place!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 13, 2007
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ef92d$46e892a2$40cba7b5$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > If it is Mac compatible I will try it (I faintly recall it *not*
    > > being so ages ago). I suppose I could use my Winbox. Radical
    > > thought!
    > >

    > Nope!
    >
    > IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for
    > non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista.

    OK I better look at it then. I will be in a more comfortable
    position to do so in a week's time, this morning I ordered a new
    flat panel monitor (that will be a second LCD on the desk for the
    Mac) freeing up the 19" CRT for the Winbox (which normally shares
    a screen with the Mac via a switch).

    > See a MAC is all about choices...you don't see the scruffy little guy on
    > tv talking about that. (those damn annoying MAC vs PC commercials
    > running in the US)

    Talking of ads, MS, Mac, someone on a Mac group posted this
    amusing link:

    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1774935

    But Jonathan, I am not sure it will be so good on dial up?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 13, 2007
  6. dorayme wrote:

    > Talking of ads, MS, Mac, someone on a Mac group posted this
    > amusing link:
    >
    > http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1774935
    >
    > But Jonathan, I am not sure it will be so good on dial up?

    Well it is taking a while to load but what a trip! I like the three
    babes in the Star Trek uniforms and is that Al Yankovitch! Yep that is
    about a geeky as you can get. The one for Windows 1.0 is a good one.

    BTW technically the BSOD didn't appear until *after* Windows not before.
    DOS 5.0 was a real turkey, 4.2 was better with 3rd party enhancements
    than MS boasted in 5.0 like 386MAX or QEMM for memory managers, XTGold
    was far superior to DOSSHELL <shudder>, and Stacker over DoubleSpace
    (oops that's DOS6.0)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 13, 2007
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <d1d19$46e8b070$40cba7b5$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >

    > > Talking of ads, MS, Mac, someone on a Mac group posted this
    > > amusing link:
    > >
    > > http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1774935
    > >
    > > But Jonathan, I am not sure it will be so good on dial up?
    > >

    > Well it is taking a while to load but what a trip! I like the three
    > babes in the Star Trek uniforms...

    That was the moment to sit up and pay attention.

    [OT: The last classroom "musical" scene I can recall in film was
    from the American version of Dennis Potter's Pennies from Heaven
    with Steve Martin. Wonderful film. There was a differently
    wonderful BBC TV series of the same name, with Bob Hoskins. I
    don't recall the classroom scene in the TV version.]

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 13, 2007
  8. dorayme

    David Segall Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    >If anyone has used a Mac compatible generator that is template
    >customisable (not just with some options but with user being able
    >to write the html and css without roadblocks), would not mind
    >hearing about it.

    The free, cross platform JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/> probably fits. It
    requires some CSS and HTML templates that you can write so there is no
    problem making a generated album match the look of your site. A
    possible roadblock would be that it is an album generator so having,
    say, arbitrary variable information on each page would be difficult.
    David Segall, Sep 13, 2007
  9. On Sep 12, 6:39 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > I suspect it is a bit of a lost cause but just wondered if anyone
    > has done anything interesting to make PS CS generate half decent
    > accessible web pages to a higher standard?

    You know, I use it [Photoshop Weg Image Gallary] every time we come
    back from a trip with the family. I share the URL with family,
    friends, and several photo newsgroups so it actually gets quite a bit
    of viewing. I have never had a single person tell me it did not look
    or work perfectly well. So while it may not create perfect code, the
    code it does create works pretty much everywhere.

    Oh I am sure someone could take any browser and change the
    configuration to make it not look or work right, but someone that does
    that runs into a ton of sites where they have to turn something on or
    change something to see the site so they are use to doing that.

    Could you find a perfect template? Maybe, I am sure you could make
    one from scratch if you wanted, but hell, if you have photoshop you
    might as well just use it. I just created a 300 image thumb page of
    Asheville NC, the process was painless and it works perfectly well for
    everyone that looks at it. Why worry about the small things.

    I mean, how much effort would I put into something like this? Well
    about as much as the keystrokes needed to type the above text.

    and that text too...
    and those 3 periods...
    those 3 too...
    yep
    Travis Newbury, Sep 13, 2007
  10. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Sep 12, 6:39 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > I suspect it is a bit of a lost cause but just wondered if anyone
    > > has done anything interesting to make PS CS generate half decent
    > > accessible web pages to a higher standard?

    > You know, I use it [Photoshop Weg Image Gallary] every time we come
    > back from a trip with the family. I share the URL with family,
    > friends, and several photo newsgroups so it actually gets quite a bit
    > of viewing. I have never had a single person tell me it did not look
    > or work perfectly well. So while it may not create perfect code, the
    > code it does create works pretty much everywhere.

    Sure, it might satisfy many people. But how selfless do you
    expect me to be? I am the poor schmuck whose pics they are, who
    puts on the show, who is wont to revisit these things and
    rearrange them to suit different purposes or tastes. Now and in
    the future.

    *If* it looked fine enough to me in a range of modern browsers,
    that would be half the battle. With PS - I had a long hard look -
    it is a bigger uphill battle to thoroughly hand change the
    templates to suit one's tastes than I would be wanting (it is not
    impossible actually, just a bit counterproductive given one is
    going for ease. You can get different skins (basically relying on
    others to make different "looks" available) but one is too
    dependent on others.

    It depends on your interests, I would be loathe to depend on a
    mechanic to fix my car or even my computer. Just don't want to be
    quite as dependent on PS for something I damn well ought to be
    able to code for myself. It is a matter of interest and pride I
    guess. It is not just a practical matter with a deadline. I have
    my own taste and it is as important where my own pics are
    concerned as some other person who makes this or that template.

    > Oh I am sure someone could take any browser and change the
    > configuration to make it not look or work right, but someone that does
    > that runs into a ton of sites where they have to turn something on or
    > change something to see the site so they are use to doing that.
    >
    > Could you find a perfect template? Maybe, I am sure you could make
    > one from scratch if you wanted, but hell, if you have photoshop you
    > might as well just use it. I just created a 300 image thumb page of
    > Asheville NC, the process was painless and it works perfectly well for
    > everyone that looks at it. Why worry about the small things.

    Am I worrying about the small things? If I don't want frames or
    heavy use of tables or many other things, it is not a small thing
    for me. It is a big irritation. I give a CD of stuff to a friend
    or family member and they are really happy. Great! But I know
    that I have given them something with a stinking pile of shit
    inside it. Do I want to do this? What if someone were to peep at
    the code? The nephew of the cousin of the... who is studying html
    and css and knows that Aunty and Uncle Dorayme might know a thing
    or two about these things only to find that ... Listen Travis, I
    don't even want to be turning in my grave if this happens when I
    am gone.

    Do not misunderstand me. I am not complaining about PS or any
    program. There is always do it all completely on your own, that
    is easy but a slog.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 13, 2007
  11. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >If anyone has used a Mac compatible generator that is template
    > >customisable (not just with some options but with user being able
    > >to write the html and css without roadblocks), would not mind
    > >hearing about it.

    > The free, cross platform JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/> probably fits. It
    > requires some CSS and HTML templates that you can write so there is no
    > problem making a generated album match the look of your site. A
    > possible roadblock would be that it is an album generator so having,
    > say, arbitrary variable information on each page would be difficult.

    Thanks David, I will take another look, I have downloaded this
    twice in the past and still have it. I did not look closely at
    the flexibility of writing one's own templates. Have you actually
    done this with this program or know anyone who has?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 13, 2007
  12. On Sep 13, 6:22 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > I suspect it is a bit of a lost cause but just wondered if anyone
    > > > has done anything interesting to make PS CS generate half decent
    > > > accessible web pages to a higher standard?

    > > You know, I use it [Photoshop Weg Image Gallary] every time we come
    > > back from a trip with the family...

    > Sure, it might satisfy many people. But how selfless do you
    > expect me to be?...

    what ever
    Travis Newbury, Sep 14, 2007
  13. dorayme

    David Segall Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > David Segall <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >If anyone has used a Mac compatible generator that is template
    >> >customisable (not just with some options but with user being able
    >> >to write the html and css without roadblocks), would not mind
    >> >hearing about it.

    >> The free, cross platform JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/> probably fits. It
    >> requires some CSS and HTML templates that you can write so there is no
    >> problem making a generated album match the look of your site. A
    >> possible roadblock would be that it is an album generator so having,
    >> say, arbitrary variable information on each page would be difficult.

    >Thanks David, I will take another look, I have downloaded this
    >twice in the past and still have it. I did not look closely at
    >the flexibility of writing one's own templates. Have you actually
    >done this with this program or know anyone who has?

    Yes, I have. If you visit
    <http://profectus.com.au/albums/Wise%20Tennis/index.html> you can look
    at a gallery produced by JAlbum and can navigate back to the main site
    to see that the gallery matches the general layout of the site. The
    mismatches are either my fault or deliberate because, for example, I
    did not want the Company logo on a page of photographs. They are not
    the fault of JAlbum.

    You may get a 404 when you access the URL. If so, it will be because I
    host the site on my computer and if my computer is down I
    automatically switch to a duplicate site hosted on the free space
    provided by my ISP which is not sufficient to include photograph
    albums. This shows up a possible flaw for you with JAlbum but which,
    for me, is a feature. JAlbum expects a particular directory structure
    with a top level of albums. On the fallback site the albums directory
    contains an apology for the missing photographs.

    As ever, it comes down to the perennial "visual web page designer"
    versus "pointy stick in the sand" debate. I find JAlbum an excellent
    compromise but I must confess that I like Dreamweaver :).
    David Segall, Sep 14, 2007
  14. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    Just btw, I assume there might be a Flash option to auto generate
    an album somewhere and that you would be a bit keen on this?

    I have been looking at JAlbum and it seems pretty good in its
    latest version... Just using it with set options is at least a
    way of organising masses of pics in a pleasing enough fashion.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 14, 2007
  15. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > David Segall <> wrote:

    > >> The free, cross platform JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/> probably fits. It
    > >> requires some CSS and HTML templates that you can write so there is no
    > >> problem making a generated album match the look of your site. A
    > >> possible roadblock would be that it is an album generator so having,
    > >> say, arbitrary variable information on each page would be difficult.

    > >Thanks David, I will take another look,

    > <http://profectus.com.au/albums/Wise%20Tennis/index.html> you can look
    > at a gallery produced by JAlbum and can navigate back to the main site
    > to see that the gallery matches the general layout of the site. The
    > mismatches are either my fault or deliberate because, for example, I
    > did not want the Company logo on a page of photographs. They are not
    > the fault of JAlbum.

    That's fine. I was able to see them ok. Very nice. As I said in
    last post, I have updated my JAlbum and it does look pretty good.
    Have even made a small album this morning. Thanks for the
    reminder about this software. I am looking at the folder in which
    the software sits in my Apps and will look into where the
    templates are kept etc. Will let you see the first album I get to
    publish via it - perhaps on that JAlbum hosting site which I
    signed up for while at it. I like this generator more than the PS
    CS one...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 14, 2007
  16. On Sep 14, 5:29 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > Just btw, I assume there might be a Flash option to auto generate
    > an album somewhere and that you would be a bit keen on this?

    I believe there are a few Flash options for the photo gallery. They
    let you add music to the slide show if you like. I personally use the
    plain old thumbs on the left side and larger images on the right.

    > I have been looking at JAlbum and it seems pretty good in its
    > latest version... Just using it with set options is at least a
    > way of organising masses of pics in a pleasing enough fashion.

    JAlbum looks like a perfectly good option for creating your photo
    album
    Travis Newbury, Sep 17, 2007
  17. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Sep 14, 5:29 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > Just btw, I assume there might be a Flash option to auto generate
    > > an album somewhere and that you would be a bit keen on this?

    > I believe there are a few Flash options for the photo gallery. They
    > let you add music to the slide show if you like. I personally use the
    > plain old thumbs on the left side and larger images on the right.
    >
    > > I have been looking at JAlbum and it seems pretty good in its
    > > latest version... Just using it with set options is at least a
    > > way of organising masses of pics in a pleasing enough fashion.

    > JAlbum looks like a perfectly good option for creating your photo
    > album

    I have been fiddling with it a bit and the set options are easy
    at least and would please many people well enough. They even have
    their own free hosting for albums.

    I have yet to work out how to do what I want in the html and css
    with this software. My thoughts are also turning to reviewing
    posts and things about server side options.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 17, 2007
  18. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > >> The free, cross platform JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/> probably fits. It
    > >> requires some CSS and HTML templates that you can write so there is no
    > >> problem making a generated album match the look of your site. A
    > >> possible roadblock would be that it is an album generator so having,
    > >> say, arbitrary variable information on each page would be difficult.

    > >Thanks David, I will take another look, I have downloaded this
    > >twice in the past and still have it. I did not look closely at
    > >the flexibility of writing one's own templates. Have you actually
    > >done this with this program or know anyone who has?

    > Yes, I have.

    Well, I finally got around to having a play with jAlbum. It is
    pretty impressive. I have asked a question about the following on
    the jAlbum forums but perhaps I will mention it here to follow up
    and also thank you for mentioning this software which works well
    on my Mac.

    Have been experimenting on the minimal skin. I really would like
    to be rid of the table layout (basically for a solid tactical
    reason rather than a strategic one, to use the browser window
    effectively rather than merely not use tables for layout).

    Here is my first experiment:

    http://dorayme.myjalbum.net/AustraliaDay/index.html

    I have roughly got the hang of altering the html and css for the
    actual enlargements ("slides"), but am unsure whether it is
    possible to be rid of the tables layout for the index page at the
    pre generation level, that is the index.htt file. It looks as if
    this might be tricky since the generating code seems wedded to
    tables? I favour quite a different sort of layout; a simple model
    would be just all images or their containing divs getting a
    float: left. Not asking about how to make the html or css,
    rather, how to adapt such a thing to this index.htt so that the
    indexes are generated automatically. Anyone any ideas besides
    hand crafting the index page separately after the album is
    generated?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 25, 2007
  19. dorayme

    David Segall Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    >> >Thanks David, I will take another look, I have downloaded this
    >> >twice in the past and still have it. I did not look closely at
    >> >the flexibility of writing one's own templates. Have you actually
    >> >done this with this program or know anyone who has?

    >> Yes, I have.

    >Well, I finally got around to having a play with jAlbum. It is
    >pretty impressive. I have asked a question about the following on
    >the jAlbum forums but perhaps I will mention it here to follow up
    >and also thank you for mentioning this software which works well
    >on my Mac.
    >
    >Have been experimenting on the minimal skin. I really would like
    >to be rid of the table layout

    I don't know enough to give you a definitive answer but I think you
    have hit the "roadblock" I mentioned in my post. I believe that JAlbum
    is based around a fairly rigid structure and although I'm sure you can
    get the look you want I doubt if you can specify the CSS and HTML that
    you want.
    David Segall, Sep 25, 2007
  20. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > David Segall <> wrote:

    > >Well, I finally got around to having a play with jAlbum. It is
    > >pretty impressive. I have asked a question about the following on
    > >the jAlbum forums but perhaps I will mention it here to follow up
    > >and also thank you for mentioning this software which works well
    > >on my Mac.
    > >
    > >Have been experimenting on the minimal skin. I really would like
    > >to be rid of the table layout

    > I don't know enough to give you a definitive answer but I think you
    > have hit the "roadblock" I mentioned in my post. I believe that JAlbum
    > is based around a fairly rigid structure and although I'm sure you can
    > get the look you want I doubt if you can specify the CSS and HTML that
    > you want.

    Fair enough. It is perhaps easier than I thought to post process.
    I rejigged a produced index file to suit my taste yesterday and
    it was not so hard. With a bunch of greps, it should be possible
    to make the job more painless still.

    One tactic that might help is to tell the program (there are
    options for this, as you will know) to make just one row and as
    many cols as there are pics in the table it insists on making.
    Then it will be easier to fashion replacement patterns to fashion
    it into a fluid floating div structure that I am a bit fond of at
    the moment.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 25, 2007