PHP 5.0 (not as OT as it might appear)

Michael Borgwardt

wald said:
Your point being?

About half of the changes in the new version are in fact un- or slightly
modified adoptions of Java syntax/behaviour/features. If this continues,
PHP 7 or 8 will be indistinguishable from the then current Java version.

Guest

Anyone seen newly announced PHP 5.0?

It looks remarkably like another server-side scripting language:

PHP has been used as a server-side scripting language since its inception
(PHP originally stood for Personal Home Page). Why would they change it
for version 5?

La'ie Techie

wald

Robbie Baldock said:
That Sun might want to run PHP 5.0 past their legal team...? ;-)

Well, let me first state that I'm far from being an expert, so if
I'm wrong, please educate me :)

Most of these features look like standard OOP ideas to me... I would
say Java implemented them first, now PHP is implementing them. This
is different from saying PHP stole them from Java, they just rely on
the same common OOP principles.

Regards,
Wald

Chris Smith

wald said:
Most of these features look like standard OOP ideas to me... I would
say Java implemented them first, now PHP is implementing them. This
is different from saying PHP stole them from Java, they just rely on
the same common OOP principles.

First of all, I suspect (hope) that the comment about Sun's legal team
was an ironic one, not meant to be taken seriously. The smiley supports
that theory. I don't have an opinion on whether Sun could successfully
sue over this, but I don't believe they would try and I'd be disgusted
with them if they did.

Nevertheless, the PHP5 features listed in that document go far beyond
general OO principles. They describe a particular take on OO; one that
was championed by the Java programming language and has grown in
popularity largely in the context of Java. With that take on OO
becoming more popular, we should hardly be surprised that it's showing
up in other languages such as C# and PHP as well; but it's not just
plain OO. It's OO with a distinct Java flavor.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Robbie

PHP has been used as a server-side scripting language since its inception
(PHP originally stood for Personal Home Page). Why would they change it
for version 5?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I just meant that with version 5 they seem to have abandoned
everything that came before and made it look just like Java...

Robbie

Roedy Green

I just meant that with version 5 they seem to have abandoned
everything that came before and made it look just like Java...

like convergent evolution where fish, sharks and cetaceans have
similar shapes.