php instead of frames

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jan Faerber, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Jan Faerber

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Hi -

    there are so much postings and I am not so compitent.
    But in former postings very often it says "frames are evil" and bla, bla,
    bla

    So I have now php installed and it seems running fine.
    There are so many php tutorials and it is a huge block to study
    and very "complicated".
    The scripts contain much more than just replace frames.
    e.g. forums, guestbooks, forms - a lot of things - and I can not find
    something to start except the 10 lines you write to see if php
    is correctly installed.
    So are there tutorials or scripts only for this frame subject
    or is it better to learn the hole thing or is it necessary?
    I mean I can not learn the whole windows registry to compare it with that.

    Jan

    Jan Faerber, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Jan Faerber

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:eek:>
    Jan Faerber said:

    > But in former postings very often it says "frames are evil" and bla, bla,
    > bla

    because they are!

    > So I have now php installed and it seems running fine.

    goody!

    > So are there tutorials or scripts only for this frame subject

    you really need to be more specific on what you actually want to do. the
    most common use of frames is to display navigation so the author doesn't
    have to repeat it on every page. to include common elements in your page
    using php you would just use something like:

    <? include 'some-stuff.ext'; ?>

    where you want the content of the some-stuff.ext file to appear in each
    page.

    http://php.net/manual/en/function.include.php

    > or is it better to learn the hole thing

    yes

    --
    brucie
    brucie, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Jan Faerber

    rf Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:eek:>
    > Jan Faerber said:
    >
    > > or is it better to learn the hole thing

    > yes

    That'd be the hole you make with your pointy stick?

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 14, 2004
  4. David Dorward, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Jan Faerber

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:OR5Nb.11590$>
    rf said:

    >>> or is it better to learn the hole thing

    >> yes

    > That'd be the hole you make with your pointy stick?

    without holes people would be in a lot of trouble. the more you can know
    about them the better.

    --
    brucie
    brucie, Jan 14, 2004