PHP is BASIC?

richard

Ive been looking around at some sites for information on understanding
PHP. I've come to the conclusion that PHP is basically BASIC.
With quite a few more features tossed in purely for the internet.

With my extensive background in BASIC, I believe I could incorporate
PHP in my site and use it the same way I would BASIC on my PC.

As I know a lot of people just don't like javascript, the menu I'm
working on now can't be used unless JS is turned on. So I believe the
same thing could be served better with PHP. Since PHP is server side,
browsers wouldn't know the difference. I may even have a bit more
flexibility with it.

Any one know of any PHP servers for the PC {vista} outside of wamp?

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
Ive been looking around at some sites for information on understanding
PHP. I've come to the conclusion that PHP is basically BASIC.
With quite a few more features tossed in purely for the internet.

Cannot fathom how you came to that conclusion. It has many "Perl"-ish
functions and syntax, not BASIC at all.

Tim Streater

"Safalra (Stephen Morley) said:
They are the same in that they are interpreted languages, rather than
compiled.

<pedantic>Actually, there are several compiled versions of BASIC - some
such as Blitz BASIC only had a compiler and no interpreter. Of course,
PHP = PHP Hypertext Processor. So, yes, it has a number of unique
features for working in an web environment. It is more like the C language
than perl.

It has a bit of everything thrown in - just look at the function names. [1]
Unfortunately in many cases it's the worst bits of everything. :p

[1] Aaron Crane wrote "Function names (and semantics) have been liberally
borrowed from Unix system calls (unlink), the C standard library (strcspn),
and Perl (split), among other places. Some function names have multiple
words separated by underscores (str_replace); others have words squashed
together (strtoupper). Some functions have aliases, like disk_free_space
and diskfreespace."

But, at the end of the day, who gives a monkey's? At least it *has* all
this functionality and ability to API to mysql, sqlite, etc etc.