    browsers wouldn't know the difference. I may even have a bit more
    flexibility with it.

    Any one know of any PHP servers for the PC {vista} outside of wamp?

    richard, Aug 30, 2008

  2. richard wrote:
    > Ive been looking around at some sites for information on understanding
    > PHP. I've come to the conclusion that PHP is basically BASIC.
    > With quite a few more features tossed in purely for the internet.

    Cannot fathom how you came to that conclusion. It has many "Perl"-ish
    functions and syntax, not BASIC at all.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 30, 2008

  3. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    "Safalra (Stephen Morley)" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:21:00 -0700, Jim Moe wrote:
    > > On 08/30/08 12:32 pm, richard wrote:
    > >> Ive been looking around at some sites for information on understanding
    > >> PHP. I've come to the conclusion that PHP is basically BASIC.
    > >> With quite a few more features tossed in purely for the internet.
    > >>

    > > They are the same in that they are interpreted languages, rather than
    > > compiled.

    > <pedantic>Actually, there are several compiled versions of BASIC - some
    > such as Blitz BASIC only had a compiler and no interpreter. Of course,
    > there are also PHP compilers available...</pedantic>
    >

    > > PHP = PHP Hypertext Processor. So, yes, it has a number of unique
    > > features for working in an web environment. It is more like the C language
    > > than perl.

    > It has a bit of everything thrown in - just look at the function names. [1]
    > Unfortunately in many cases it's the worst bits of everything. :p
    >

    > [1] Aaron Crane wrote "Function names (and semantics) have been liberally
    > borrowed from Unix system calls (unlink), the C standard library (strcspn),
    > and Perl (split), among other places. Some function names have multiple
    > words separated by underscores (str_replace); others have words squashed
    > together (strtoupper). Some functions have aliases, like disk_free_space
    > and diskfreespace."

    But, at the end of the day, who gives a monkey's? At least it *has* all
    this functionality and ability to API to mysql, sqlite, etc etc.

    Tim Streater, Aug 30, 2008