PHP/Layers Problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by HoDeHoo, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. HoDeHoo

    HoDeHoo Guest

    Hi there,

    This may be more of an HTML problem than a PHP problem but as I am a
    beginnger at both I hope you will spare some compassion!

    I was up till 4 am last night and spent a solid 6 hours doing nothing but
    trying to understand and learn why the layers on the 2nd page of my script
    aren't working properly!

    The co-ordinates all look pretty bang on to me - especially Result +
    Status/2 which are both left aligned by their left co-ordinate but which
    rarely meet that way! (These layers contain the red bit of paper that shows
    the result of the round and then either the icons to play again or a
    congratulation to the end of the round message respectively.)

    It seems to be draws, rather than wins/losses that cause the positions to
    change - I'm not sure - I can't work it out for the life of me!

    I wouldn't ask if I thought I could work it out but I've been staring at if
    for so long without success that I am starting to think it's something
    beyond my expertise! I'm only just starting out with PHP and am working my
    way through a SAMS book at the moment - any help you can give me would be
    greatly appreciated!

    The page is at http://www.tastymota.com/psr/index.php but I presume you need
    to see the code and as far as I know that means I have to post this
    http://www.tastymota.com/psr/files.zip?

    Many many thanks for ANY help anyone can give me! I know the logic and the
    layout of the site may still be teething but these layers are my bug of the
    moment!

    Thanks again,

    Dave

    PS. Good luck with the game!

    HoDeHoo, Feb 27, 2006

  2. HoDeHoo

    windandwaves Guest

    HoDeHoo wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > This may be more of an HTML problem than a PHP problem but as I am a
    > beginnger at both I hope you will spare some compassion!
    >
    > I was up till 4 am last night and spent a solid 6 hours doing nothing
    > but trying to understand and learn why the layers on the 2nd page of
    > my script aren't working properly!
    >
    > The co-ordinates all look pretty bang on to me - especially Result +
    > Status/2 which are both left aligned by their left co-ordinate but
    > which rarely meet that way! (These layers contain the red bit of
    > paper that shows the result of the round and then either the icons to
    > play again or a congratulation to the end of the round message
    > respectively.)
    > It seems to be draws, rather than wins/losses that cause the
    > positions to change - I'm not sure - I can't work it out for the life
    > of me!
    > I wouldn't ask if I thought I could work it out but I've been staring
    > at if for so long without success that I am starting to think it's
    > something beyond my expertise! I'm only just starting out with PHP
    > and am working my way through a SAMS book at the moment - any help
    > you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > The page is at http://www.tastymota.com/psr/index.php but I presume
    > you need to see the code and as far as I know that means I have to
    > post this http://www.tastymota.com/psr/files.zip?
    >
    > Many many thanks for ANY help anyone can give me! I know the logic
    > and the layout of the site may still be teething but these layers are
    > my bug of the moment!

    Love your design, but I do not really understand how it works ( i know
    scissors, rocks, etc..) but i reckon you can make it simpler (less pages),
    etc...

    windandwaves, Feb 27, 2006

  3. HoDeHoo

    HoDeHoo Guest

    Less pages?!

    I only have two :( I guess I could lump all the PHP into one page but I'm
    having a hard enough time keeping track of it as it is! I just can't figure
    out what's going on with the layers, I'm still working on it!

    HoDeHoo, Feb 27, 2006
  4. HoDeHoo

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, HoDeHoo quothed:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > This may be more of an HTML problem than a PHP problem but as I am a
    > beginnger at both I hope you will spare some compassion!
    >
    > I was up till 4 am last night and spent a solid 6 hours doing nothing but
    > trying to understand and learn why the layers on the 2nd page of my script
    > aren't working properly!
    >
    > The co-ordinates all look pretty bang on to me - especially Result +
    > Status/2 which are both left aligned by their left co-ordinate but which
    > rarely meet that way! (These layers contain the red bit of paper that shows
    > the result of the round and then either the icons to play again or a
    > congratulation to the end of the round message respectively.)
    >
    > It seems to be draws, rather than wins/losses that cause the positions to
    > change - I'm not sure - I can't work it out for the life of me!
    >
    > I wouldn't ask if I thought I could work it out but I've been staring at if
    > for so long without success that I am starting to think it's something
    > beyond my expertise! I'm only just starting out with PHP and am working my
    > way through a SAMS book at the moment - any help you can give me would be
    > greatly appreciated!
    >
    > The page is at http://www.tastymota.com/psr/index.php but I presume you need
    > to see the code and as far as I know that means I have to post this
    > http://www.tastymota.com/psr/files.zip?
    >
    > Many many thanks for ANY help anyone can give me! I know the logic and the
    > layout of the site may still be teething but these layers are my bug of the
    > moment!

    Your valigns are inconsistent. Also, the spacer rows are superfluous;
    use padding (css) instead.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 27, 2006
  5. HoDeHoo

    HoDeHoo Guest

    "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > With neither quill nor qualm, HoDeHoo quothed:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> This may be more of an HTML problem than a PHP problem but as I am a
    >> beginnger at both I hope you will spare some compassion!
    >>
    >> I was up till 4 am last night and spent a solid 6 hours doing nothing but
    >> trying to understand and learn why the layers on the 2nd page of my
    >> script
    >> aren't working properly!
    >>
    >> The co-ordinates all look pretty bang on to me - especially Result +
    >> Status/2 which are both left aligned by their left co-ordinate but which
    >> rarely meet that way! (These layers contain the red bit of paper that
    >> shows
    >> the result of the round and then either the icons to play again or a
    >> congratulation to the end of the round message respectively.)
    >>
    >> It seems to be draws, rather than wins/losses that cause the positions to
    >> change - I'm not sure - I can't work it out for the life of me!
    >>
    >> I wouldn't ask if I thought I could work it out but I've been staring at
    >> if
    >> for so long without success that I am starting to think it's something
    >> beyond my expertise! I'm only just starting out with PHP and am working
    >> my
    >> way through a SAMS book at the moment - any help you can give me would be
    >> greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >> The page is at http://www.tastymota.com/psr/index.php but I presume you
    >> need
    >> to see the code and as far as I know that means I have to post this
    >> http://www.tastymota.com/psr/files.zip?
    >>
    >> Many many thanks for ANY help anyone can give me! I know the logic and
    >> the
    >> layout of the site may still be teething but these layers are my bug of
    >> the
    >> moment!

    > Your valigns are inconsistent. Also, the spacer rows are superfluous;
    > use padding (css) instead.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojias
    > Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.

    I'm afraid I know nothing of CSS at the moment, that's one of my goals
    though - one thing at a time!

    When you say valigns what do you mean?

    Sorry for my ignorance

    HoDeHoo, Feb 28, 2006
  6. HoDeHoo

    Jim Higson Guest

    HoDeHoo wrote:

    > Less pages?!
    >
    > I only have two :( I guess I could lump all the PHP into one page but I'm
    > having a hard enough time keeping track of it as it is! I just can't
    > figure out what's going on with the layers, I'm still working on it!

    You can have as many PHP files as you want, it doesn't have to be one per
    page on the server.

    So, if the PHP is getting too long to keep track of, split it into smaller
    files and use the include statement.

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Feb 28, 2006
  7. HoDeHoo

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, HoDeHoo quothed:

    > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, HoDeHoo quothed:
    > >
    > >> Hi there,
    > >>
    > >> This may be more of an HTML problem than a PHP problem but as I am a
    > >> beginnger at both I hope you will spare some compassion!
    > >>
    > >> I was up till 4 am last night and spent a solid 6 hours doing nothing but
    > >> trying to understand and learn why the layers on the 2nd page of my
    > >> script
    > >> aren't working properly!
    > >>
    > >> The co-ordinates all look pretty bang on to me - especially Result +
    > >> Status/2 which are both left aligned by their left co-ordinate but which
    > >> rarely meet that way! (These layers contain the red bit of paper that
    > >> shows
    > >> the result of the round and then either the icons to play again or a
    > >> congratulation to the end of the round message respectively.)
    > >>
    > >> It seems to be draws, rather than wins/losses that cause the positions to
    > >> change - I'm not sure - I can't work it out for the life of me!
    > >>
    > >> I wouldn't ask if I thought I could work it out but I've been staring at
    > >> if
    > >> for so long without success that I am starting to think it's something
    > >> beyond my expertise! I'm only just starting out with PHP and am working
    > >> my
    > >> way through a SAMS book at the moment - any help you can give me would be
    > >> greatly appreciated!
    > >>
    > >> The page is at http://www.tastymota.com/psr/index.php but I presume you
    > >> need
    > >> to see the code and as far as I know that means I have to post this
    > >> http://www.tastymota.com/psr/files.zip?
    > >>
    > >> Many many thanks for ANY help anyone can give me! I know the logic and
    > >> the
    > >> layout of the site may still be teething but these layers are my bug of
    > >> the
    > >> moment!

    > > Your valigns are inconsistent. Also, the spacer rows are superfluous;
    > > use padding (css) instead.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Neredbojias
    > > Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.

    > I'm afraid I know nothing of CSS at the moment, that's one of my goals
    > though - one thing at a time!
    >
    > When you say valigns what do you mean?

    Change all valigns to "middle" and make unlimited.gif the same height as
    its predecessors.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 28, 2006