php squirrelmail out of memory at ISP's webmail :-(

Bengt Richter

I guess there's python at the bottom of php? Anyway, is someone here
familiar with the message that looks like

"""

Please purge your trash folder regularly.
You can do this by clicking on the (purge) link on the left.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 42 bytes) in
/vhome/common/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.1/functions/imap_general.php on line 735

"""

IMO this is not so nice. I can't get to my mail. I can get to it via my normal Eudora,
so they suggested webmail, which worked once, and hasn't worked several times. I wonder
if there is a memory leak or mis-counting, and I just lucked out once to hit it soon
after a re-start. I could filter the mail, but I can't get the stream to filter it :-(

Sorry about the OT, but I thought maybe it could be on topic sort of if there were a
python memory leak behind it. Anyway, not happy with this, sorry. I would imagine this
has happened to a few people, so before I go chasing sourceforge squirrelmail bug stuff,
has anyone been there already and have more clue than I? TIA.

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Bengt Richter

On 4 Oct 2003 05:01:11 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (Bengt Richter) wrote:
[...]
IMO this is not so nice. I can't get to my mail. I can get to it via my normal Eudora,
^-- NOT! Sorry ;-/
Regards,
Bengt Richter

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Bengt said:
[PHP *yuck*]
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 42 bytes) in
/vhome/common/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.1/functions/imap_general.php on line 735

Entering the error message verbatim into Google would have helped ;-)

The solution is to change the memory_limit parameter in the php.ini
file. Of course you'll need admin privileges for this ;-)

-- Gerhard

Bengt Richter

Bengt said:
[PHP *yuck*]
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 42 bytes) in
/vhome/common/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.1/functions/imap_general.php on line 735

Entering the error message verbatim into Google would have helped ;-)

The solution is to change the memory_limit parameter in the php.ini
file. Of course you'll need admin privileges for this ;-)
Thanks. And, sorry, I should have mentioned (especially after ranting at someone about
not posting enough background info ) that I saw that advice ;-/

I was hoping to hear something about ongoing work on a fix (and I would say the need is
for a fix, not a workaround bandaid, because IMO a production-used tool should fail
more gracefully re space limits, and certainly not leave you with your existing
data inaccessible).

I am wondering whether to give up on current-style email as communication.
I wonder who is happy about the global email system being so trashed with spam etc.

Regards,
Bengt Richter