PHP v.s. ASP include once("*.inc") - [Expert]

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Pseudonyme, Mar 23, 2010.

  1. Pseudonyme

    Pseudonyme Guest

    Hi All !

    We are proposing a tool that indicates the exact time from the
    certified world time servers.

    The webmasters are placing the time within their pages. It is free.
    The webmasters have all the platforms : mainly PHP and ASP, but, some
    other hidden language that few people know.

    The point is : (1) "our team totally hate javascripts because we
    believe it is consuming to much electricity for the user." (2) "our
    team believe that we can save users session times on our servers, and
    electricity of our servers".

    So, we will not propose :
    <script language='javascript' src='http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
    adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998'></script>

    BUT, we would prefer to propose :
    $homepage = file_get_contents(''http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
    adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998');
    echo $homepage;

    The point is that the webmaster would have to include our code in his
    hard coding, instead of a light .js

    1>> What do you think of that ?

    The technical question is : "$homepage and echo $homepage;" is in
    PHP, and it works.

    2>> Do you know the similar expression in ASP ? and in the other
    languages ? even exotic languages ?

    $homepage = file_get_contents(''http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
    adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998');
    echo $homepage;

    We personally thank you for the time you took to read this master
    piece of problem and we appreciate the time you took to help.

    Have a nice and desirable day,

    Cougloff
    Pseudonyme, Mar 23, 2010

  2. ..oO(Pseudonyme)

    >We are proposing a tool that indicates the exact time from the
    >certified world time servers.

    Nothing special.

    >The webmasters are placing the time within their pages. It is free.
    >The webmasters have all the platforms : mainly PHP and ASP, but, some
    >other hidden language that few people know.
    >
    >The point is : (1) "our team totally hate javascripts because we
    >believe it is consuming to much electricity for the user." (2) "our
    >team believe that we can save users session times on our servers, and
    >electricity of our servers".

    What are you smoking, car tires? There are reasons to prefer a server-
    side language over JS in cases like this, but yours is just nonsense.

    >So, we will not propose :
    ><script language='javascript' src='http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
    >adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998'></script>
    >
    >BUT, we would prefer to propose :
    >$homepage = file_get_contents(''http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
    >adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998');
    >echo $homepage;
    >
    >The point is that the webmaster would have to include our code in his
    >hard coding, instead of a light .js

    He would also have to include the JS call. Same thing.

    >1>> What do you think of that ?
    >
    >The technical question is : "$homepage and echo $homepage;" is in
    >PHP, and it works.

    Sure.

    >2>> Do you know the similar expression in ASP ? and in the other
    >languages ? even exotic languages ?

    RTFM?

    >$homepage = file_get_contents(''http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
    >adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998');
    >echo $homepage;

    You already said that, even with the same typo.

    >We personally thank you for the time you took to read this master
    >piece of problem and we appreciate the time you took to help.
    >
    >Have a nice and desirable day,

    You should definitely stop smoking, whatever it is.

    Micha
    Michael Fesser, Mar 23, 2010

  3. Pseudonyme

    Curtis Dyer Guest

    Michael Fesser <> wrote:

    > .oO(Pseudonyme)

    <snip>

    >>The point is : (1) "our team totally hate javascripts because we
    >>believe it is consuming to much electricity for the user." (2)
    >>"our team believe that we can save users session times on our
    >>servers, and electricity of our servers".

    > What are you smoking, car tires? There are reasons to prefer a
    > server- side language over JS in cases like this, but yours is
    > just nonsense.

    Seeing as how JavaScript uses so much power, it must have done a
    number on the OP's tires. :)

    <snip>

    --
    Curtis Dyer
    <? $x='<? $x=%c%s%c;printf($x,39,$x,39);?>';printf($x,39,$x,39);?>
    Curtis Dyer, Mar 24, 2010
  4. On 23/03/10 21:17, Pseudonyme wrote:
    > Hi All !
    >
    > We are proposing a tool that indicates the exact time from the
    > certified world time servers.

    <snip>

    Err, wait.... Writing an E-Mail and using a PC consumes also electricity.
    So better you turn it off to avoid a electricity blackout...

    Johannes Keßler, Mar 24, 2010
  5. Pseudonyme

    Pseudonyme Guest

    Re: PHP v.s. ASP include once("*.inc") - [Expert]

    ASP and PHP are much more powerful that internet browsers. The code in
    PHP and ASP is read once while million of the browsers would have to
    play the javascript (electricity volume). Browsers are little
    softwares with low-skills on board. How many times do you have to stop
    the browsers processes due to javascript problems ? Flash is fine,
    because you avoid scripts based on the browsers applications.

    Well ASP Please

    How please to convert
    $homepage = file_get_contents(''http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
    adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998');
    echo $homepage;

    INTO ASP

    The ASP architecture is different from PHP ... Home to do get the
    content of a http page using ASP ?

    Have a nice day,
    Cougloff
    Pseudonyme, Mar 24, 2010
  6. Pseudonyme

    Erwin Moller Guest

    Pseudonyme schreef:
    > ASP and PHP are much more powerful that internet browsers. The code in
    > PHP and ASP is read once while million of the browsers would have to
    > play the javascript (electricity volume).

    Nonsense.
    Each invocation of a script (request by a client) makes the server
    execute the script.

    I don't understand your electricity story at all.
    Are you saying that letting the server fetch the time is cheaper than
    letting the browser do it?

    > Browsers are little
    > softwares with low-skills on board.

    That is your opinion.
    I say most modern day browsers are delicate pieces of softeware.

    > How many times do you have to stop
    > the browsers processes due to javascript problems ?

    That depends on the quality of the javascript code en the quality of the
    browser.
    You cannot forbid all knifes because some guy killed with a knife.

    > Flash is fine,
    > because you avoid scripts based on the browsers applications.

    Flash is dead soon.
    I predict in the not too distant future you will see more
    javascript/canvas based apps and less Flash.
    (ef: Apple stopped supporting it on I-phones.)

    > Well ASP Please
    >
    > How please to convert
    > $homepage = file_get_contents(''http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
    > adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998');
    > echo $homepage;
    >
    > INTO ASP
    >
    > The ASP architecture is different from PHP ... Home to do get the
    > content of a http page using ASP ?

    Possibly by stopping to post this question to 2 PHP related newsgroups.

    > Have a nice day,
    > Cougloff

    You too.

    Erwin Moller

    -- C.A.R. Hoare
    Erwin Moller, Mar 24, 2010
  7. Pseudonyme

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 00:27:24 +0100, Michael Fesser <>
    wrote:

    >>Have a nice and desirable day,

    >You should definitely stop smoking, whatever it is.

    Heh.. exactly what I was thinking. But I suspect a lot has been lost
    in translation and in particular in the use of the word 'electricity'.

    So the question seems to be, if we want to display the time on a
    webpage should we use the server or the client machine?

    If we use the client machine we have to assume the clock is set
    correctly.

    If we use the server, we have to determine the locale of the user.

    If it's needed for a critical process, server time should be used. If
    it's eye candy why even bother, I have enough sources of time around
    me, I don't need it on a webpage.

    --
    Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    Geoff Berrow, Mar 24, 2010
  8. Pseudonyme

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Pseudonyme" <> wrote in message

    > ASP and PHP are much more powerful that internet browsers. The code in
    > PHP and ASP is read once while million of the browsers would have to
    > play the javascript (electricity volume). Browsers are little
    > softwares with low-skills on board. How many times do you have to stop
    > the browsers processes due to javascript problems ? Flash is fine,
    > because you avoid scripts based on the browsers applications.

    Wow. Somehow you've picked up some very wrong ideas.

    The script would be executed *every time a request was made* to YOUR SERVER
    if you did it in PHP and YOUR SERVER would have to fetch the information
    from the time servers. If you did it in JavaScript it would be executed on
    the USER'S BROWSER (i.e. the client) and THEIR CLIENT would fetch the

    +mrcakey, Mar 24, 2010
  9. Re: PHP v.s. ASP include once("*.inc") - [Expert]

    On Mar 24, 8:43 am, Geoff Berrow <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 00:27:24 +0100, Michael Fesser <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >>Have a nice and desirable day,

    > >You should definitely stop smoking, whatever it is.

    > Heh.. exactly what I was thinking.  But I suspect a lot has been lost
    > in translation and in particular in the use of the word 'electricity'.

    No, this is a really dumb idea. There is already a working method for
    getting accurate time measurement via the internet - NTP. The nature
    of HTTP is that it cannot even come close to the level of accuracy
    available even at second stratum time servers. A stratum 0 device can
    be acquired for less than 50 USD (although the low cost GPS units
    typically only give an accuracy comparable to stratum 1).

    At best, the proposal would give an estimate of the time at which the
    timestamp was requested. It pre-supposes that the time taken for the
    third party to poll the data, generate their own page incorporating
    the content and deliver it to the browser is either predictable or
    consistent - which is a nonsense.

    The business model is as flawed as the interpretation of the
    technology. The only people who are going to be interested in this,
    are people who can't/won't implement NTP on their servers but think
    its important to have accurate time reporting on the browser. i.e. the
    majority of the potential customer base can't run serverside scripts.

    Also, human beings aren't normally interested in measuring time with
    less than about a minutes accuracy - so I fail to see what the benefit
    in trying to publish an accurate time is.

    Also, judging from the OPs poor but overly enthusiastic english, he
    only seems to be asking how to include content from a remote site
    within a page generated by Microsoft's asp - which makes it totally
    off-topic on a PHP newsgroup.

    C.
    C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/), Mar 24, 2010
  10. Geoff Berrow wrote:

    > So the question seems to be, if we want to display the time on a
    > webpage should we use the server or the client machine?

    Depends. If it needs to be the real time, you should use both.

    > [...]
    > If it's eye candy why even bother, I have enough sources of time around
    > me, I don't need it on a webpage.

    ACK

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Mar 24, 2010