php vs perl for RDBMS backend work

dcruncher4

Hi,

I would like to get an opinion on using php vs perl for backend
database related work. This is basically a script for nightly batch jobs
which reads from different databases and write to databases.
So far I have used perl/DBI for this.

I am looking into the possibility of using php for the same, if it
provides any significant benefit in code maintenance etc.

TIA.

dcruncher4

Oh no. This is not to rewrite existing code. I want to check
whether it is worth investing on php for any new code. of course
my boss will ask me to justify why I would want php when perl
has been doing the job fine so far. I can't tell that the only
valid reason is that I want to learn php and add it in my resume (haha).

So I need some real reasons as to why php is superior to perl.
I got one so far: It has a more natural support for OO, which I agree.

thanks.

Toby A Inkster

dcruncher4 said:
So I need some real reasons as to why php is superior to perl. I got one
so far: It has a more natural support for OO, which I agree.

PHP's version of the OO paradigm is a lot more familiar to people who come
from Java backgrounds, because it has familiar ideas like classes and
objects, with methods and properties, but Perl's OO is more flexible. Perl
can do, for instance, multiple inheritance, whereas PHP and Java cannot.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 34 days, 17:01.]

Bottled Water
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/18/bottled-water/

ccc31807

So I need some real reasons as to why php is superior to perl.
I got one so far: It has a more natural support for OO, which I agree.

So? OO is simply another way of organizing code. In many cases, OO
just gets in the way, as when you are dealing with a simply procedural
script. I write a lot of scripts for databases, in many cases taking
data from one database, manipulating it in some way, and writing it to
another database. It's simpler to do this with a script written in an
imperative style than one written in an object oriented style.

Languages are simply tools. When you use a tool, you use one most
suitable for the task at hand. PHP might be a better tool for your job
than Perl, but it won't be a better tool because it has more natural
support for OO development.

CC