php vs. servlet

Ike

Can someone pls explain to me the benefits of doing somethign server-side
via a servlet as opposed to php?

Specifically, I am accessing a MySQL database from an Applet. I am
contemplating the middle tier as either a servlet or php.....pls tell me why
I want to use a servlet ? Thanks, Ike

Roedy Green

Can someone pls explain to me the benefits of doing somethign server-side
via a servlet as opposed to php?

java is oo. Php is not. This helps organise large projects.

Gerbrand van Dieijen

java is oo. Php is not. This helps organise large projects.

Java is reasonable typesafe, PHP is not, which gives a much higher change
at bugs and ugly unmaintanable code.
$var1="blah"
$var2=3
$var3="5"

<? echo $var1+$var2+var3 ; ?>

This won't give an error in PHP or at best a runtime error.

For more Java versus PHP, I'd search http://groups.google.com