    Specifically, I am accessing a MySQL database from an Applet. I am
    contemplating the middle tier as either a servlet or php.....pls tell me why
    I want to use a servlet ? Thanks, Ike

    Ike, Sep 20, 2003

  2. Ike

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:56:20 GMT, "Ike" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Can someone pls explain to me the benefits of doing somethign server-side
    >via a servlet as opposed to php?

    java is oo. Php is not. This helps organise large projects.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 20, 2003

  3. On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:27:38 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:
    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:56:20 GMT, "Ike" <> wrote or
    >quoted :
    >
    >>Can someone pls explain to me the benefits of doing somethign server-side
    >>via a servlet as opposed to php?

    >java is oo. Php is not. This helps organise large projects.

    Java is reasonable typesafe, PHP is not, which gives a much higher change
    at bugs and ugly unmaintanable code.
    $var1="blah"
    $var2=3
    $var3="5"

    <? echo $var1+$var2+var3 ; ?>

    This won't give an error in PHP or at best a runtime error.

    For more Java versus PHP, I'd search http://groups.google.com

    --
    Gerbrand van Dieijen

    WWW: http://twisted.warande.net