Pick/Choose XML from XSL

Prabh

Hello all,
I want to HTML-ize an .xml (Test.xml) file and am running into a
problem with my XSL file.

The .xml contains info about each tag, called 'targets' and each
target has a message with certain priority. I want to bundle all these
targets in a top-area which have "a href" links to the details section
down below. Also, I want to ignore messages with 'debug' priority and
print only the 'info' priority messages.

Test.xml:
==========================X M L==================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Test.xsl"?>

<main>
<target name="TargetOne">
<task>
<message priority="info"><![CDATA[Info about Target One]]></message>
</task>
</target>

<target name="TargetTwo">
<task>
<message priority="debug"><![CDATA[Info about Target Two: Ideally I
shouldnt be displayed!!]]></message>
</task>
</target>

<target name="TargetThree">
<task>
<message priority="info"><![CDATA[Info about Target Three]]>
</message>
</task>
</target>

</main>

==========================X M L==================================

I've gotten this far with my .xsl:

==========================X S L==================================

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:eek:utput method="html" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="main">

<!-- make header links -->
<xsl:for-each select="target">
<xsl:if test="@name='TargetOne'
or @name='TargetTwo'
or @name='TargetThree'">
</a>
</xsl:if>
</xsl:for-each>

<hr/>
<!-- show the targets, tasks and messages -->
<xsl:apply-templates select="target"/>

</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="target">
<xsl:if test="@name='TargetOne'
or @name='TargetTwo'
or @name='TargetThree'">
<a name="{generate-id()}"/>
</xsl:if>

<h4>
<xsl:text>Target: </xsl:text>
<xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
</h4>

<!-- show the messages -->
<xsl:apply-templates select="task"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
==========================X S L==================================

I can now print the desired HTML with targets bundled up in a top-area
with links to details down below. But, I'm unable to ignore/discard
the 'debug' messages. I'm trying to use '<xsl:template
match="message[@priority] != 'debug'
but it doesn seem to work, the Target Two is always being printed.

Could anyone give me pointers on how to go about this, please?

Thanks for your time,
Prabh

Morris M. Keesan

On 1 Dec 2004 14:03:14 -0800, (e-mail address removed) (Prabh) wrote:
Also, I want to ignore messages with 'debug' priority and
print only the 'info' priority messages.

Test.xml:
==========================X M L================================== ....
<task>
<message priority="debug"><![CDATA[Info about Target Two: Ideally I
shouldnt be displayed!!]]></message>
</task> ....
<!-- show the messages -->
<xsl:apply-templates select="task"/> ....
I'm unable to ignore/discard the 'debug' messages.
I'm trying to use '<xsl:template
match="message[@priority] != 'debug'

You could use a few different approaches:

<xsl:apply-templates select="task[message/@priority != 'debug']"/>
to apply templates only to those tasks with the right priority,
if <message> is the only possible child element of <task>, or

or

<xsl:template match="task">
<xsl:if test="message/@priority != 'debug'">
<xsl:value-of select="message"/>
</xsl:if>
<!-- ... other processing for contents of task ... -->
</xsl:template>

or even

<xsl:template match="message">
<xsl:if test="@priority != 'debug'><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

ExGuardianReader

Prabh said:
[...]

You're nearly there! The test for equality needs to be inside the predicate.

<xsl:template match="message[@priority != 'debug']">
</...>

You should use that in both the header link section, and the content
section.

Are your generated IDs linking up? the generate-id() function produces a
different value each time it is called. The one in your header won't
match the one in the content section! I'd use the @name attribute of the
<target> tag as the name to reference.

Nige

Morris M. Keesan

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:13:10 +0000 (UTC), ExGuardianReader
Are your generated IDs linking up? the generate-id() function produces a
different value each time it is called. The one in your header won't
match the one in the content section!

Nope. For a single XSLT run, the id returned must be the same every
time the generate-id() function is called for the same node. But
there's some confusion about this because of the second part of the
following, from <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#function-generate-id>:

"The generate-id function ... always generates the same identifier for
the same node and ... different identifiers are always generated from
different nodes. An implementation is under no obligation to generate
the same identifiers each time a document is transformed."