Picking up the torch....

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Arich Chanachai, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. What does picking up the torch entail?
    Arich Chanachai, Sep 14, 2004

  2. > What does picking up the torch entail?

    Arich,

    Please reply to the existing ruby-talk post instead of creating a new one
    all the time. That way, it's easier for people to understand the context
    of your questions. Remember too that all ruby-talk posts are archived for
    future reference.

    "Picking up the torch", in this instance, means taking over the project,
    or at least reviving it with a good dose of code and/or enthusiasm.

    Cheers,
    Gavin
    Gavin Sinclair, Sep 14, 2004

  3. My apologies, Thunderbird was replying to the sender and not to the
    group before. Some sort of bug.

    I am not an idiot and was aware what you meant by "picking up the
    torch". However, I asked what it entails, as in, what needs to be coded
    so I can do it myself.

    - Arich
    Arich Chanachai, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Arich wrote:
    > My apologies, Thunderbird was replying to the sender and not to the
    > group before. Some sort of bug.

    Apologies for what? Quoting the original post would be helpful...

    > I am not an idiot and was aware what you meant by "picking up the
    > torch". However, I asked what it entails, as in, what needs to be coded
    > so I can do it myself.

    I was implying (specific) ignorance, not idiocy. As to your question, I'm
    afraid I don't know; I'm fairly ignorant of JRuby.

    Cheers,
    Gavin
    Gavin Sinclair, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Arich Chanachai

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Arich Chanachai wrote:
    > My apologies, Thunderbird was replying to the sender and not to the
    > group before. Some sort of bug.
    >
    > I am not an idiot and was aware what you meant by "picking up the
    > torch". However, I asked what it entails, as in, what needs to be coded
    > so I can do it myself.

    No one thought you were an idiot. People here may or may not be native
    speakers of English. Many non-native speakers do not understand certain
    idioms.

    As for what needs to be coded, most of us are not familiar with it. The
    best ways to find out are: 1. look at the code and 2. email the author(s).

    Cheers,
    Hal
    Hal Fulton, Sep 14, 2004
  6. I understand, no hard feelings.

    Thank you for your help.
    Arich Chanachai, Sep 14, 2004
  7. On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Arich Chanachai defenestrated me:

    > What does picking up the torch entail?

    I think you were referring to my last sentence about jruby.
    I am not exactly sure what it would take to make the bytecode compiler
    work. I have not looked at that portion of the code. Perhaps
    the original author of it will chime in.

    Jruby as a project is still alive too. It is primarily me right now,
    but the CVS tree has many many fixes from the last release. If my
    real life would slow down a little bit I would finish my short-list
    and put out a new release.

    -Tom

    --
    + http://www.tc.umn.edu/~enebo +---- mailto: ----+
    | Thomas E Enebo, Protagonist | "A word is worth a thousand |
    Thomas E Enebo, Sep 14, 2004