Picking up the torch....

Gavin Sinclair

What does picking up the torch entail?

Arich,

Please reply to the existing ruby-talk post instead of creating a new one
all the time. That way, it's easier for people to understand the context
of your questions. Remember too that all ruby-talk posts are archived for
future reference.

"Picking up the torch", in this instance, means taking over the project,
or at least reviving it with a good dose of code and/or enthusiasm.

Cheers,
Gavin

Arich Chanachai

My apologies, Thunderbird was replying to the sender and not to the
group before. Some sort of bug.

I am not an idiot and was aware what you meant by "picking up the
torch". However, I asked what it entails, as in, what needs to be coded
so I can do it myself.

- Arich

Gavin Sinclair

Arich said:
My apologies, Thunderbird was replying to the sender and not to the
group before. Some sort of bug.

Apologies for what? Quoting the original post would be helpful...
I am not an idiot and was aware what you meant by "picking up the
torch". However, I asked what it entails, as in, what needs to be coded
so I can do it myself.

I was implying (specific) ignorance, not idiocy. As to your question, I'm
afraid I don't know; I'm fairly ignorant of JRuby.

Cheers,
Gavin

Hal Fulton

Arich said:
My apologies, Thunderbird was replying to the sender and not to the
group before. Some sort of bug.

I am not an idiot and was aware what you meant by "picking up the
torch". However, I asked what it entails, as in, what needs to be coded
so I can do it myself.

No one thought you were an idiot. People here may or may not be native
speakers of English. Many non-native speakers do not understand certain
idioms.

As for what needs to be coded, most of us are not familiar with it. The
best ways to find out are: 1. look at the code and 2. email the author(s).

Cheers,
Hal

Thomas E Enebo

What does picking up the torch entail?

I think you were referring to my last sentence about jruby.
I am not exactly sure what it would take to make the bytecode compiler
work. I have not looked at that portion of the code. Perhaps
the original author of it will chime in.

Jruby as a project is still alive too. It is primarily me right now,
but the CVS tree has many many fixes from the last release. If my
real life would slow down a little bit I would finish my short-list
and put out a new release.

-Tom