``pickling'' and ``unpickling''

sushant.sirsikar

Hi,
I am new in Python World.I want to know what is mean by ``pickling''
and ``unpickling'' ?
And how can we used it?Please Give Me some links of Picking Examples.
Thanks

Sushant

Lonnie Princehouse

Pickling is the Python term for serialization. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialization

Suppose you want to save a Python object "x" to a file...

output_file = open('my_pickle', 'wb') # open a file

import pickle
pickle.dump(x, output_file) # write x to the file
output_file.close()

.... and to restore x from the file:

input_file = open('my_pickle','rb')
x = pickle.load(input_file)
input_file.close()

Roy Smith

"Lonnie Princehouse said:
Pickling is the Python term for serialization. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialization

Suppose you want to save a Python object "x" to a file...

output_file = open('my_pickle', 'wb') # open a file

import pickle
pickle.dump(x, output_file) # write x to the file
output_file.close()

... and to restore x from the file:

input_file = open('my_pickle','rb')
x = pickle.load(input_file)
input_file.close()

I used to use pickles a lot for making scripts start up faster by cacheing
intermediate results. On startup, I had to read and parse a bunch of large
text files and build a complicated in-memory database out of them. That
took something like 10 seconds. However, the text files very rarely
changed. To save startup time, I read the files in once, and pickled the
database in a file. On subsequent runs, I'd just read in the pickle, which
took a fraction of a second.

Peter Hansen

Hi,
I am new in Python World.I want to know what is mean by ``pickling''
and ``unpickling'' ?
And how can we used it?Please Give Me some links of Picking Examples.
Thanks

You can generally answer such questions yourself by heading to
docs.python.org and typing the relevant words into the conveniently
provided "Search" field in the upper right. With "pickling" the first
result is http://docs.python.org/lib/module-pickle.html which answers
all your questions, including a page of examples.

-Peter