Pickling Tkinter widgets - Where does Python stand now?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Marc, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Hi all,

    After some research I've decided that my previous question (Confusing
    problem between Tkinter.Intvar...) was headed in the wrong direction.
    Partly because I think I have a greater understanding of what was
    happening, and partly because pickling Tkinter widgets is an issue
    that seems to have been touched on over the years but never really
    acted on.

    Postings back to '96 have talked about the need to pickle Tk widgets.
    People have asked about it at various points, and no one has ever
    really even come up with a workaround (that I could find).

    So I am wondering a couple of things: Are there any plans in the
    future to alter Tkinter so that it will be Pickle compliant in the
    main release? Has anyone ever found a workaround (whether through
    altering the main Tkinter.py file or other) that will allow pickling
    of Tk widgets.

    Thanks,
    Marc
    Marc, Jan 27, 2004

  2. are not there Pickle versions that allow you to pickle python code, or
    simply pickle classes ?
    That could be use to pickle the code that create the widget.
    Thus the pickling would pickle the creation code and the unpickling would
    reobtain it and instanciate the code class.
    That is a strategy but I'm not sure if it is what you need...

    rodrigob.

    Rodrigo Benenson, Jan 27, 2004