Picture doesn't load in IE6

Michael Satterwhite

I have a page where I'm using Javascript to fade in an image. It appears to
work fine with Javascript turned on - I've tested IE6 and Firefox.

If I turn Javascript *OFF* in the browsers, the picture displays fine in
Firefox (no fade effect, of course), but it doesn't show at all in IE6 -
there's a blank spot on the screen where the image should be.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me the error of my ways?
Here's the page:

www.weblore.com/lindinger

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Michael Satterwhite
If I turn Javascript *OFF* in the browsers, the picture displays fine in
Firefox (no fade effect, of course), but it doesn't show at all in IE6 -
there's a blank spot on the screen where the image should be.

The image still downloads and is there - it just isn't visible. Looks
like you're getting your styles mixed up (or IE is getting confused,
anyway).

Michael Satterwhite

Mark said:
Previously in alt.html, Michael Satterwhite

The image still downloads and is there - it just isn't visible. Looks
like you're getting your styles mixed up (or IE is getting confused,
anyway).

My problem is that I don't see anywhere outside of Javascript that I'm
saying that the image shouldn't be visible. As Javascript is turned off,
the "hidden" items should be ignored throughout. If Javascript is on, it
should fade in.

That's why I turned to the experts here. You guys seem to see things that
would never dawn on me.

---Michael

Richard

I have a page where I'm using Javascript to fade in an image. It appears
to work fine with Javascript turned on - I've tested IE6 and Firefox.

If I turn Javascript *OFF* in the browsers, the picture displays fine in
Firefox (no fade effect, of course), but it doesn't show at all in IE6 -
there's a blank spot on the screen where the image should be.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me the error of my ways?
Here's the page:

www.weblore.com/lindinger

What I think you should so is to remove the inline styling from the img tag.
This may be causing the image to appear totally transparent.
Try a different background color other than the background of the image.

Oli Filth

Michael said:
I have a page where I'm using Javascript to fade in an image. It appears to
work fine with Javascript turned on - I've tested IE6 and Firefox.

If I turn Javascript *OFF* in the browsers, the picture displays fine in
Firefox (no fade effect, of course), but it doesn't show at all in IE6 -
there's a blank spot on the screen where the image should be.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me the error of my ways?
Here's the page:

www.weblore.com/lindinger

In Firefox, the illusion is shattered anyway, cos the image displays as
its loading before the Javascript has had a chance to run. So what
actually happens is the image displays, then disappears, and then fades
back in, which just looks bizarre.

In Opera the script doesn't work full stop.

P.S. A word of design advice: don't use different size fonts for
A:hover, as this has a tendency to make everything else jump about. In
Firefox, for instance, the main image moves left and right as I hover
and unhover over the "About" and "Services" links.

P.P.S. Validate your (X)HTML!
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://weblore.com/lindinger/