    Would someone be so kind as to tell me the error of my ways?
    Here's the page:

    www.weblore.com/lindinger

    Michael Satterwhite, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Michael Satterwhite

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Michael Satterwhite
    <satterwh.X$NO$S$> said:

    > If I turn Javascript *OFF* in the browsers, the picture displays fine in
    > Firefox (no fade effect, of course), but it doesn't show at all in IE6 -
    > there's a blank spot on the screen where the image should be.

    > www.weblore.com/lindinger

    The image still downloads and is there - it just isn't visible. Looks
    like you're getting your styles mixed up (or IE is getting confused,
    anyway).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Previously in alt.html, Michael Satterwhite
    > <satterwh.X$NO$S$> said:
    >
    >> If I turn Javascript *OFF* in the browsers, the picture displays fine in
    >> Firefox (no fade effect, of course), but it doesn't show at all in IE6 -
    >> there's a blank spot on the screen where the image should be.

    >> www.weblore.com/lindinger

    > The image still downloads and is there - it just isn't visible. Looks
    > like you're getting your styles mixed up (or IE is getting confused,
    > anyway).

    My problem is that I don't see anywhere outside of Javascript that I'm
    saying that the image shouldn't be visible. As Javascript is turned off,
    the "hidden" items should be ignored throughout. If Javascript is on, it
    should fade in.

    That's why I turned to the experts here. You guys seem to see things that
    would never dawn on me.

    ---Michael

    Michael Satterwhite, Mar 6, 2005
  4. Michael Satterwhite

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 22:37:44 GMT Michael Satterwhite wrote:

    > I have a page where I'm using Javascript to fade in an image. It appears
    > to work fine with Javascript turned on - I've tested IE6 and Firefox.
    >
    > If I turn Javascript *OFF* in the browsers, the picture displays fine in
    > Firefox (no fade effect, of course), but it doesn't show at all in IE6 -
    > there's a blank spot on the screen where the image should be.
    >
    > Would someone be so kind as to tell me the error of my ways?
    > Here's the page:
    >
    > www.weblore.com/lindinger

    What I think you should so is to remove the inline styling from the img tag.
    This may be causing the image to appear totally transparent.
    Try a different background color other than the background of the image.

    Richard, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Michael Satterwhite

    Oli Filth Guest

    Michael Satterwhite wrote:
    > I have a page where I'm using Javascript to fade in an image. It appears to
    > work fine with Javascript turned on - I've tested IE6 and Firefox.
    >
    > If I turn Javascript *OFF* in the browsers, the picture displays fine in
    > Firefox (no fade effect, of course), but it doesn't show at all in IE6 -
    > there's a blank spot on the screen where the image should be.
    >
    > Would someone be so kind as to tell me the error of my ways?
    > Here's the page:
    >
    > www.weblore.com/lindinger

    In Firefox, the illusion is shattered anyway, cos the image displays as
    its loading before the Javascript has had a chance to run. So what
    actually happens is the image displays, then disappears, and then fades
    back in, which just looks bizarre.

    In Opera the script doesn't work full stop.

    P.S. A word of design advice: don't use different size fonts for
    A:hover, as this has a tendency to make everything else jump about. In
    Firefox, for instance, the main image moves left and right as I hover
    and unhover over the "About" and "Services" links.

    P.P.S. Validate your (X)HTML!
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://weblore.com/lindinger/

    --
    Oli