Picture load times

Eric Bohlman

Hi

I have a few thumbnail pics at this address
http://www.woodsolutions.com/gallery.htm
I`m wondering if the load times are too great with a 56K modem. I`m using
DSL so
I can`t tell. Also, are the large thumbs too large in dimension.

21 seconds to load completely. I've got mixed feelings about the large
thumbs; right now the size contrast makes them dominate too much, but
shrinking them would compromise the display of the individual items.

However, if you abandoned your layout tables and used something CSS-based,
you might be able to space some of the smaller images more closely (because
you wouldn't have to have three lined up in a row); I think the real
problem is that the fixed 3X3 layout causes a tall image in the center to
generate too much whitespace on the sides.

Clark Simmons

My HTML editor estimates 12.9 seconds to download at 56.6. You might try
running it through
http://w3c.org validator and clean up the code some. Might help. Frontpage is
notorious for extraneous code.

--
Regards, Clark in Round Rock Texas USA

http://xld.com
ISP Services, Best Sellers, Affiliates.
Free Greeting Cards, Recipes, Lots of Other Free Stuff.

Eric Bohlman

However, if you abandoned your layout tables and used something
CSS-based, you might be able to space some of the smaller images more
closely (because you wouldn't have to have three lined up in a row); I
think the real problem is that the fixed 3X3 layout causes a tall
image in the center to generate too much whitespace on the sides.

Just as an example, I redid the gallery part of the page using CSS; you can
see the results at <http://www.omsdev.com/woodsolutions/gallery.htm>. The
margins probably need playing around with, but it should be much easier to
do that with CSS than with tables. You'll note that I have the pictures
grouped into columns rather than rows, and that I moved some of them around
to achieve better (at least IMHO) visual balance. You should be able to
easily move them around as well.