    don't really want to have to resize them all manually first.

    Can anyone help?
    Pascal.
    Pascal Herczog, Nov 3, 2005

  2. Pascal Herczog

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Pascal Herczog quothed:

    > I have a page containing 2 frames, the top has a table of hyperlinks, which,
    > if you click on them, each show a different picture in the bottom frame
    > (i.e. target base is set to "bottom").
    >
    > e.g., in the top frame, a table data entry would be:
    > href="../My%20Jokes/Pictures/airplane.jpg">Airplane</a></td>
    >
    > What I would like to do is constrain the size (width, height) of the actual
    > picture shown in the bottom frame when the user clicks on the text
    > "Airplane". I have seen plenty of examples setting width etc when the
    > hyperlink itself is a picture, but I can't see how to set the width/height
    > attributes in this case. Hence I end up with a picture that doesn't fit into
    > the bottom frame, which spoils the effect. As I've got loads of pictures, I
    > don't really want to have to resize them all manually first.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    > Pascal.

    Load the image into a page (-via js or php, etc.,) which is loaded into
    the bottom frame.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Pascal Herczog wrote:
    > I have a page containing 2 frames, the top has a table of hyperlinks, which,
    > if you click on them, each show a different picture in the bottom frame
    > (i.e. target base is set to "bottom").
    >
    > e.g., in the top frame, a table data entry would be:
    > href="../My%20Jokes/Pictures/airplane.jpg">Airplane</a></td>
    >
    > What I would like to do is constrain the size (width, height) of the actual
    > picture shown in the bottom frame when the user clicks on the text
    > "Airplane". I have seen plenty of examples setting width etc when the
    > hyperlink itself is a picture, but I can't see how to set the width/height
    > attributes in this case. Hence I end up with a picture that doesn't fit into
    > the bottom frame, which spoils the effect. As I've got loads of pictures, I
    > don't really want to have to resize them all manually first.

    Well actually your should! Images at resolutions meant for printing
    (thousands of pixels on a side) are not really suitable for use on the
    web where 600 pixels is pretty damn big! Constraining with HTML does
    nothing to reduce the large files size of such images so the whole file
    must be downloaded, a real pain on dialup and a real waste of bandwidth

    Try something like IrfanView freeware that can batch size images
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 3, 2005
  4. "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    > Pascal Herczog wrote:
    >> I have a page containing 2 frames, the top has a table of hyperlinks,
    >> which, if you click on them, each show a different picture in the bottom
    >> frame (i.e. target base is set to "bottom").
    >>
    >> e.g., in the top frame, a table data entry would be:
    >> href="../My%20Jokes/Pictures/airplane.jpg">Airplane</a></td>
    >>
    >> What I would like to do is constrain the size (width, height) of the
    >> actual picture shown in the bottom frame when the user clicks on the text
    >> "Airplane". I have seen plenty of examples setting width etc when the
    >> hyperlink itself is a picture, but I can't see how to set the
    >> width/height attributes in this case. Hence I end up with a picture that
    >> doesn't fit into the bottom frame, which spoils the effect. As I've got
    >> loads of pictures, I don't really want to have to resize them all
    >> manually first.

    > Well actually your should! Images at resolutions meant for printing
    > (thousands of pixels on a side) are not really suitable for use on the web
    > where 600 pixels is pretty damn big! Constraining with HTML does nothing
    > to reduce the large files size of such images so the whole file must be
    > downloaded, a real pain on dialup and a real waste of bandwidth
    >
    > Try something like IrfanView freeware that can batch size images
    > http://www.irfanview.com/

    Thanks.

    The picture files are not that big to start with, but resizing might be the
    only option it seems. I have no real experience of java scripts (except a
    few bits I've borrowed from examples), and it looks like the table
    data/anchor syntax does not support setting a size for target jpg (???).
    I've tried adding a width parameter but it has no effect.

    Pascal.
    Pascal Herczog, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Pascal Herczog wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Pascal Herczog wrote:

    <snip>
    > Thanks.
    >
    > The picture files are not that big to start with, but resizing might be the
    > only option it seems. I have no real experience of java scripts (except a
    > few bits I've borrowed from examples), and it looks like the table
    > data/anchor syntax does not support setting a size for target jpg (???).
    > I've tried adding a width parameter but it has no effect.

    Not sure what your doing there, but resampling the images will result in
    far 'clearer' result then the pixel dropping method use by the browser...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 3, 2005
  6. Pascal Herczog

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:43697b33$0$27996$>,
    Pascal Herczog said:

    > What I would like to do is constrain the size (width, height) of the actual
    > picture shown in the bottom frame when the user clicks on the text
    > "Airplane".

    with only a few exceptions you should only display images at their actual
    size. browsers are crap at resizing and you waste your visitors
    time/bandwidth/money making them download an image that may be too big.

    how about offering a few different sizes of the images so the visitor can
    select the size they want? if you don't want to do that then use small
    images and resize up but then you get icky poo looking images.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 3, 2005