PIL for py3k not picking up external libraries

Discussion in 'Python' started by Collin Day, Mar 17, 2012.

  1. Collin Day

    Collin Day Guest

    Hi all,

    I am using python 3.2 on an amd64 Gentoo system. I was trying to
    compile an unofficial version of PIL to work in 3.2 that I found here:

    http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs

    Anyway, when I run the setup.py to compile the source, it doesn't pick
    up tkinter, zlib, or freetype. When I use pdb to step through the code
    where it is looking for libraries (for example zlib here), I make it all
    the way into unixcompiler.py:

    > /usr/lib64/python3.2/distutils/unixccompiler.py(318)find_library_file()

    -> shared_f = self.library_filename(lib, lib_type='shared')
    which returns 'libz.cpython-32.so' or 'libtcl8.5.cpython-32.py',
    depending on what it is looking for.

    If I step in further to ccompiler.py

    "")
    881 fmt = getattr(self, lib_type + "_lib_format")
    882 ext = getattr(self, lib_type + "_lib_extension")
    883
    884 -> dir, base = os.path.split(libname)
    885 filename = fmt % (base, ext)

    The extension returns .cpython-32.so

    I have a lot of these extensions for site packages, but how do I
    generate libraries compatible with this for say tkinter, zlib, etc. For
    example, I see libtcl8.5.so, but no libtcl8.5.cpython-32.so.

    Can someone tell me what I am missing?

    Thanks!

    Collin Day, Mar 17, 2012