PIL / libjpeg install problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by mikko.koivunen@gmail.com, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    I am installing the Python Imaging Library (1.1.5). Following the
    README that came with PIL sources, I ran "path/to/python setup.py
    build_ext -i" which informed me that JPEG support is OK.

    However when I run "path/to/python selftest.py" from the same package,
    I get an IOError: decoder jpg not available.

    This is a RHEL4 server and I am building PIL for a selfcompiled Python
    2.3.5 install.

    Libjpeg and libjpeg-devel are installed via RPM.

    Any help appreciated.

    Full error here:

    Failure in example: _info(Image.open("Images/lena.jpg"))
    from line #24 of selftest.testimage
    Exception raised:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./doctest.py", line 499, in _run_examples_inner
    exec compile(source, "<string>", "single") in globs
    File "<string>", line 1, in ?
    File "./selftest.py", line 21, in _info
    im.load()
    File "PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
    File "PIL/Image.py", line 328, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
    IOError: decoder jpeg not available
    1 items had failures:
    1 of 55 in selftest.testimage
    ***Test Failed*** 1 failures.