PIL questions: still supported? Problems on 2.7 for win? alternatives?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gelonida N, Sep 24, 2012.

  1. Gelonida N

    Gelonida N Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to migrate a project with legacy code from 2.6 (with PIL
    1.1.6) to 2.7 with (PIL 1.1.7)
    The SW should run on Windows.

    PIL fails with an error concering '_imagingft'
    This seems to be a known issue.

    http://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/issues/detail?id=300
    and the bug was never closed.

    One suggestion is to download an alternative build from a non official site.

    Looking at the activity of PIL (
    http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm ) it seems, that
    development stopped,
    The latest build (with known bugs and missing functionality for python
    2.7.) seems to be from November 15, 2009.
    In the net I read, that there's so little activity on PIL, because it's
    stable, which doesn't seem to be the case for the 2.7 binary package.

    This all does not sound very comforting. Why is there no fix on the
    official site?

    I wondered whether some of you have a little more insight into what's
    going on with PIL.

    Short term: get PIL working on 2.7 windows?
    My shortterm problem is migrating existing code to 2.7 and keeping the
    code, that uses PIL.
    So I'll probably try to install the custom binary, but would like to
    know whether anybody has experience with this build.
    http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pil

    Alternatively how tricky is PIL to be compiled with mingw?

    Mid term: What to use to manipulate images?

    My midterm problem is to stay with Python 2.7 and to write occasinally
    new code, that does some basic image manipulations.

    Can I still count on PIL? The fact, that the official devs don't even
    bother to fix some basic functionality of their binary release tells me
    that either very few people use PIL (or at least the broken
    functionality somehow related to the font libraries) on 2.7

    What alternatives do exist for PIL?
    We just need some lines drawn, some text drown, some scaling,
    transparency merging, . . . and PIL seend decent enough.

    There seems to be freeimagepy, but the bindings seem to be 'only' ctypes
    bindings http://freeimagepy.sourceforge.net/
    Any experience with this libraries?

    Any other suggestions?

    Longterm Will PIL officially exist for Python 3?

    When really all libraries that the project needs are supported
    I''ll probably migrate to Python 3.

    For Python 3 there is not even a broken official release, but only forks.

    Why isn't any of these forks becoming 'official'?

    If a package is not supported for Windows via official binary releases /
    easy_install, then I'm a little more afraid, that the package
    (maintainers included) will disappear in the near future.

    Thanks a lot in advance for opinions / recommendations / clarifications

    Gelonida N, Sep 24, 2012

  2. Gelonida N

    alex23 Guest

    On Sep 25, 6:04 am, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    > This all does not sound very comforting. Why is there no fix on the
    > official site?

    Has a bug been logged about the issue?

    The Plone community keeps a fairly up-to-date fork called Pillow,
    we've had a lot of success using that locally:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/

    alex23, Sep 25, 2012

  3. Gelonida N

    Guest

    On Monday, September 24, 2012 4:38:05 PM UTC-7, alex23 wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 6:04 am, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    >
    > > This all does not sound very comforting. Why is there no fix on the

    > > official site?

    > Has a bug been logged about the issue?

    See issue #1 at <http://hg.effbot.org/pil-117/issue/1/windows-build-of-_imagingft-module-fails>

    Christoph

    > The Plone community keeps a fairly up-to-date fork called Pillow,
    >
    > we've had a lot of success using that locally:
    >

    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/

    , Sep 25, 2012
  4. Gelonida N

    Alex Clark Guest

    Re: PIL questions: still supported? Problems on 2.7 for win?alternatives?

    On 2012-09-24 23:38:05 +0000, alex23 said:

    > On Sep 25, 6:04 am, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    >> This all does not sound very comforting. Why is there no fix on the
    >> official site?

    > Has a bug been logged about the issue?
    >
    > The Plone community keeps a fairly up-to-date fork called Pillow,
    > we've had a lot of success using that locally:
    >
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/

    Actually, I started it for the Plone community, but have recently
    broadened the scope (since most of the contributions came from outside
    Plone). It now lives here:

    - https://github.com/python-imaging/Pillow

    If you have any trouble using it, please open a ticket here:

    - https://github.com/python-imaging/Pillow/issues

    Alex

    --
    Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com

    Alex Clark, Sep 25, 2012
  5. Gelonida N

    alex23 Guest

    On Sep 25, 6:04 am, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    > So I'll probably try to install the custom binary, but would like to
    > know whether anybody has experience with this
    > build.http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pil

    Sorry, I missed this the first time. I'm using this version
    successfully under Windows 7 64-bit. I've had nothing but success with
    extensions I've used from that site.

    alex23, Sep 25, 2012
  6. Gelonida N

    alex23 Guest

    On Sep 25, 11:46 am, Alex Clark <> wrote:
    > Actually, I started it for the Plone community, but have recently
    > broadened the scope (since most of the contributions came from outside
    > Plone).

    You're a saint, thanks for taking this on.

    alex23, Sep 25, 2012
  7. Gelonida N

    Gelonida N Guest

    On 09/25/2012 01:38 AM, alex23 wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 6:04 am, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    >> This all does not sound very comforting. Why is there no fix on the
    >> official site?

    > Has a bug been logged about the issue?
    >
    > The Plone community keeps a fairly up-to-date fork called Pillow,
    > we've had a lot of success using that locally:
    >
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/

    Thanks for all your answers.

    So it seems to be safe to use either Christoph' binary PIL distribution
    or to use Pillow.

    The fact, that pillow is accessable via PyPi / easy_install / PIP pushes
    me slightly towards pillow.

    I assume it's best to uninstall PIL before installing pillow.

    How much would I confuse easy_install / pip in a normal windows
    non virutal environment if I didn't uninstall PIP before (or even worse
    if I installed PIL, then pillow and uninstalled then PIL)

    (Just anticipating all the smart thigns, that my collegues (or myself)
    might do

    On a Linux machine:
    What would happen in a virtualenv with sitepackages (amonst them PIL
    installed and a pillow installed ontop of it?
    I don't think I can uninstall PIL, as many distro packages depend on it.
    I don't want to create a virtualenv without site packages, as I have
    many dependencies and some of them are a little tricky to compile.

    Gelonida N, Sep 25, 2012
  8. Gelonida N

    alex23 Guest

    On Sep 25, 6:25 pm, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    > So it seems to be safe to use either Christoph' binary PIL distribution
    > or to use Pillow.
    >
    > The fact, that pillow is accessable via PyPi / easy_install / PIP pushes
    > me slightly towards pillow.

    > I assume it's best to uninstall PIL before installing pillow.

    I would expect you'd be fine. Being a different package, it's a
    different namespace, so they shouldn't conflict.

    > On a Linux machine:
    > What would happen in a virtualenv with sitepackages (amonst them PIL
    > installed and a pillow installed ontop of it?
    > I don't think I can uninstall PIL, as many distro packages depend on it.
    > I don't want to create a virtualenv without site packages, as I have
    > many dependencies and some of them are a little tricky to compile.

    Again, you should be fine, as it's in a separate namespace. You
    definitely don't want to mess with PIL if you have other dependencies.

    alex23, Sep 25, 2012
  9. Gelonida N

    Gelonida N Guest

    On 09/25/2012 02:42 PM, alex23 wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 6:25 pm, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    >> So it seems to be safe to use either Christoph' binary PIL distribution
    >> or to use Pillow.
    >>
    >> The fact, that pillow is accessable via PyPi / easy_install / PIP pushes
    >> me slightly towards pillow.

    >> I assume it's best to uninstall PIL before installing pillow.

    > I would expect you'd be fine. Being a different package, it's a
    > different namespace, so they shouldn't conflict.

    This is what is confusing me.
    if I start with a new python and I just install Pillow, then pillow is
    imported via
    import PIL
    so it does not seem to have a separate name space

    If I had PIL and pillow installed, then I wouldn't even know how to
    choose which one to import.

    >> On a Linux machine:
    >> What would happen in a virtualenv with sitepackages (amonst them PIL
    >> installed and a pillow installed ontop of it?
    >> I don't think I can uninstall PIL, as many distro packages depend on it.
    >> I don't want to create a virtualenv without site packages, as I have
    >> many dependencies and some of them are a little tricky to compile.

    > Again, you should be fine, as it's in a separate namespace. You
    > definitely don't want to mess with PIL if you have other dependencies.

    Well I'm slightly confused, but will play a little to see what exactly works

    Gelonida N, Sep 26, 2012
  10. Gelonida N

    alex23 Guest

    On Sep 27, 7:44 am, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    > This is what is confusing me.
    > if I start with a new python and I just install Pillow, then pillow is
    > imported via
    > import PIL
    > so it does not seem to have a separate name space
    >
    > If I had PIL and pillow installed, then I wouldn't even know how to
    > choose which one to import.

    Ah, I'm so sorry, I totally thought pillow had moved into its own
    namespace (but of course that makes no sense if it's to be a drop-in
    replacement for PIL).

    To be honest, I never rely on the system install of Python to provide
    anything, and prefer to use buildout/setup.py to guarantee the
    development/installation environment is correct. I suspect (and
    hopefully someone with more virtualenv experience will speak up here)
    that you'll have to modify your PYTHONPATH within the virtualenv to
    point to your local install of pillow before the site packages.

    alex23, Sep 27, 2012