PIL: The _imaging C module is not installed

Nico Grubert

Hi there

I am having trouble to install PIL 1.1.7 on CentOS.

I read and followed the instructions from
http://effbot.org/zone/pil-imaging-not-installed.htm

However, I still get the "The _imaging C module is not installed" error
if I run the selftest:

$ python selftest.py
*** The _imaging C module is not installed

Here is what I have tested so far:

1.)

$ python -v
dlopen("/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so", 2);
import _imaging # dynamically loaded from
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so

2.)

$ python
........success imported!

Any idea what might be wrong?