Ping Aaron - [Rel: Spiders]

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Steven Burn, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    Aaron,
    Apologies for the ping but, your the only one I can think of offhand that
    will know what I'm looking for.

    Basically, to cut a long story short, I run an sURL service (surl.co.uk)
    that allows one to convert long URL's to short etc, and am looking to have a
    search facility on it that will allow one to locate an sURL for a specific
    subject.

    Now, the problem I'm running into is, I'd like to have some sort of spider
    that will go to each site in the database, and grab the title, keywords, and
    description from the meta tags, As I've never written a spider in my life,
    and have been unsuccessful in locating info on how to go about doing so, I
    was hoping you could point me in the right direction?

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!
    Steven Burn, Jun 7, 2004

  2. One way is to use ServerXMLHTTP (see http://www.aspfaq.com/2173). Once you
    have the response text back, you can parse it for <title> and </title>, etc.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 7, 2004

  3. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    Cheers Aaron..... I had a feeling that was going to be the response (I've
    got a page on my site that uses it (checks whether a site is online or not),
    but it's terribly slow for some reason)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn