Pinning Toolbar Hangs VS IDE

PaulN

I didn't see a forum for the IDE itself, so here is my problem.

When I'm developing a win forms project and wish to place more than a
few controls on the form, I would normally click the toolbar and pin it
so I could have easy access to both the control list and the full face
of the form.

Lately, whenever I attempt to do this it hangs the IDE and pegs the cpu.
Just before I left last night, I pinned the toolbar and it hung, I left
it running to see what would happen. This morning - nothing had
happened, the cpu was still pegged and the toolbar was still not pinned.
I had to end process in taskmanager.

Do I really need to reinstall VS.Net to fix this? Man that's a painful
thought!!!

Any ideas short of reinstalling would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Hall

I don't have an answer for you, but I can let you know you're not the only
one seeing this. It was happening to me for several days then it seemed to
clear up by itself after a while. I'm curious as to what might cause it too.

Dave

Ryan Taylor

I've had the same problem recently. I posted a question about it in
microsoft.public.vsnet.ide under "Docking the toolbar hangs the IDE. VS
2003".

One possible theory generated by the posting, (though it sounds strange) is
that quicktime was somehow interfering with the docking mechanism. Just out
of curiosity, do you have quicktime installed?

Luckily, by docking the solution explorer (before trying to dock the window
that hangs the application) and undocking it solved my problem. I was then
able to dock my toolbox. I am reluctant to undock my toolbox now.

PaulN

I do have Quicktime installed.

I run with the solution explorer pinned all the time.

And wouldn't you know it, I just tried pinning the toolbox and it worked
normally (after only 30 secs of disk thrashing). Weird.

Where is Whidbey?