pip and distutils2-1.0a4

Mark H. Harris

hi folks,

I am having a fit with pip this afternoon. I finally
got pip installed on this system from a binary
blob (what nightmare, talk about 1987). Anyway,
pip is installed, but when I go to PyPI to pull
down distutils is gives a message that no such
package exists. I feel like Obeewan; "if the archive
computer says your planet is not there, it simply
does not exist".
Can somebody tell me what is the best way to get
distutils downloaded to this system?
Thanks in advance.
Somewhere I heard a rumor that distutils is preloaded
with Py3.3.x / is this True? like, I might already have
it??
thanks again
marcus

Mark Lawrence

hi folks,

I am having a fit with pip this afternoon. I finally
got pip installed on this system from a binary
blob (what nightmare, talk about 1987). Anyway,
pip is installed, but when I go to PyPI to pull
down distutils is gives a message that no such
package exists. I feel like Obeewan; "if the archive
computer says your planet is not there, it simply
does not exist".
Can somebody tell me what is the best way to get
distutils downloaded to this system?
Thanks in advance.
Somewhere I heard a rumor that distutils is preloaded
with Py3.3.x / is this True? like, I might already have
it??
thanks again
marcus

distutils has been part of the standard library for years.

Mark H. Harris

distutils has been part of the standard library for years.

hi Mark, that's fabulous, why can't I import it? Because I'm doing
something wrong of course. :)

marcus

Robert Kern

hi Mark, that's fabulous, why can't I import it? Because I'm doing
something wrong of course. :)

Probably. If you want us to help, you need to show us what you tried, tell us
what results you expected, and copy-paste the output that you got.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Mark H. Harris

Probably. If you want us to help, you need to show us what you tried, tell us
what results you expected, and copy-paste the output that you got.
Robert Kern

hi Robert, well, I finally came up with trying to find setup(). Its a part of
distutils.core. So, I tried:

from distutils.core import setup
from distutils import *

Then I tried to run setup() --help-commands and python3 crashed.

What did I do wrong? running Py3.3.4

Thanks, marcus

Roy Smith

Mark H. Harris said:
hi Robert, well, I finally came up with trying to find setup(). Its a part
of
distutils.core. So, I tried:

from distutils.core import setup
from distutils import *

Then I tried to run setup() --help-commands and python3 crashed.

What did I do wrong? running Py3.3.4

Thanks, marcus

General advice to everybody who asks questions. Please don't *describe*
what you did. *Show* us what you did. Run your commands in a terminal
window and then copy-and-paste everything that you typed and everything
that got printed.

Robert Kern

hi Robert, well, I finally came up with trying to find setup(). Its a part of
distutils.core. So, I tried:

from distutils.core import setup
from distutils import *

Then I tried to run setup() --help-commands and python3 crashed.

What did I do wrong? running Py3.3.4

You don't run `setup() --help-commands` in the Python interpreter.
`--help-commands` is a command-line argument to the setup.py script that you
will write. It is not Python syntax. Please read the documentation.

http://docs.python.org/3/distutils/index.html

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Mark H. Harris

Robert Kern

hi Robert, I'm not whining --really-- but there is so dang much
doc out there on how to upload a package to PyPI with every tool
under the sun and all of them fancier than they need to be. So,
that you! That doc file led me to another doc file that showed me
how to build the setup.py file line by line.
The real trick is building the src tree (and there are more than several
ways to do that) and then matching the setup.py script to the src
tree: then,
python3 setup.py register
python3 setup.py sdist upload
python3 setup.py upload

whew... I never worked so hard to get one silly tarball on a repository
in my life ever... very rewarding; but, and I genuinely mean this, thank
you for pointing me in the correct direction, sir.

marcus