pipe syslog to per script problem

Rocky

hi all
I have the fiollowing script called syslogwatch:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
while (<>)
{
do stuff here;
}

I pipe mail.* to it from syslog.conf but it keeps overwriting my script
with mail.* entries
syslog.conf (Suse 9.0) looks like
mail.* |/var/perlmon/syslogwatch
is the syslog not coming in as a stream? What can I do differently?
thanks,
Rocky

Anno Siegel

Rocky said:
hi all
I have the fiollowing script called syslogwatch:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
while (<>)
{
do stuff here;
}

I pipe mail.* to it from syslog.conf but it keeps overwriting my script
with mail.* entries
syslog.conf (Suse 9.0) looks like
mail.* |/var/perlmon/syslogwatch
is the syslog not coming in as a stream? What can I do differently?

This is not a Perl problem. The logging script would be overwritten
just the same if it were written in another language.

Ask on a Unix group, preferably one that specializes on your kind of
system. The interpretation of syslog.conf varies a bit with different
kinds of Unix.

Anno