pipe to an already running process?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by .rhavin grobert, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. hi there;-)

    I have a little inter-process-communication problem...
    _______________________

    Lets say you have two perl-skripts [#A and #B], running on my domain.
    #A is already running and has left it's PID ($$) in a file, waiting
    inside a loop for one or more instances of #B.
    #B is invoced by the web-user, reads the file and now has to establish
    a connection to #A - just knowing it's PID and sending a string to #A
    containing something like: 'Hi, my ID is $$'
    #A will accept the connection, receive the string and connect to #B in
    return.
    At this point, #A and #B should be capable of sending and receiving
    strings from each other.
    _______________________

    The problem is that I dont know how to do that practically;-|

    I tryed kill / @SIG, but that doesnt give me the possibility to send
    strings (unless i subclass 127 SIGs and transform my string into 7bit;
    this will be the last possibility i'd choose;-)

    Another try of mine was a pipe() in #A and #B, but i dont fork a single
    prog, i have two different ones already running and simply didn't find
    a way to exchange the pipe-handles between the programs.

    I've read perlipc and spend a day googlin' but still dont have a clue,
    so any help or some URL to a source doing something similar would be
    fantastic.

    -.rhavin;-)
    .rhavin grobert, Jan 8, 2006