pitfalls Developing now with VS2005 and SQL Server 2005

Carlos

Hi all,

I have a ASP.NET app that uses SQL Server 2000 to access the data over the
internet
and everything works fine . However, I just installed SQL server 2005, and
wanted to test
the remote connectivity of this app with the same connection string, but
just changing the target
database (to AdventureWorks).

Since I still have a default instance of sql server 2000 running
concurrently with a named
instance of 2005, and to simulate a remote connection to SQL Server 2005, I
defined a different
port number than the default 1433 in the TCP/IP network configuration for my
test box, restarted the DB engine, and
defined the port forwarding on my router for the sql server 2005 service.
I did also defined the same security settings (i.e. the same UID, and
Password for the
AdventureWorks DB).

I, then commented out my working connection string, and compiled anew to
activate the new connection string, and the connection could not open..
This is kind of how it looks like:

//this.sqlConnection1.ConnectionString =
"Server=xxx.xx.xx.xx;Database=myDB;User
ID=myUID;Password=myPWD;Trusted_Connection=False";

this.sqlConnection1.ConnectionString =
"Server=xxx.xx.xx.xx,<port>;Database=AdventureWorks;User
ID=myUID;Password=myPWD;Trusted_Connection=True";

Since I still have my instance of SQL server 2000 running concurrently with
my new named instance of SQL server 2005

I can switch back and forth by uncommenting my working connection string,
and commenting the bad one, and recompiling

and notice that it still works. However, I have not been able to find the
root cause of the problem.

Any help will be grealy appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos