Pithy programming Quotations

Tom Anderson

I am collecting pithy programming quotations to display at random on
the footers of the Java glossary. Do you have any favourites that
should be included?

Here's everything specifically about programming and allied arts, plus a
few extras, from my sig file. I haven't checked to eliminate redundancy
with things that have already been posted. At least one (from Red Adair)
is known to be apocryphal. Context is not supplied, and is often
important; i might be able to clarify individual cases if anyone is
interested.

With regards to people who think this thread is a waste of space: you know
where your delete buttons are.

So:

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr.
Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers
come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of
ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage

We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that
needs to be done. -- Alan Turing

Programming is a skill best acquired by practice and example rather than
from books -- Alan Turing

The Web isn't hypertext, it's DECORATED DIRECTORIES! -- Ted Nelson

One of the principal objects of theoretical research in my department of
knowledge is to find the point of view from which the subject appears in
its greatest simplicity. -- Josiah Willard Gibbs

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait
until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Our only chance for survival is better engineering. -- James Dyson

We'll never win by being like them. Our best tactic is to be better.
Better necessarily means different. -- Jon Rentzsch

I sometimes think that the IETF is one of the crown jewels in all of
western civilization. -- Tim O'Reilly

No kings, voting or presidents, just a rough consensus and running code.
-- Dave Clark

Yesterday's research projects are today's utilities and tomorrow's
historical footnotes. -- Roy Smith

Do more with less -- R. Buckminster Fuller

simple system that worked. -- Gall's Law

Formal logical proofs, and therefore programs, are *utterly meaningless*.
-- Dehnadi and Bornat

Formal logical proofs, and therefore programs - formal logical proofs that
particular computations are possible, expressed in a formal system called
a programming language - are utterly meaningless. To write a computer
program you have to come to terms with this, to accept that whatever you
might want the program to mean, the machine will blindly follow its
meaningless rules and come to some meaningless conclusion. -- Dehnadi and
Bornat

The best way to predict the future is to invent it. -- Alan Kay

The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution
hasn't started yet. -- Alan Kay

Technology is anything that wasn't around when you were born. -- Alan Kay

I believe there is no philosophical high-road in science, with
epistemological signposts. No, we are in a jungle and find our way by
trial and error, building our road behind us as we proceed. -- Max Born

Any problem in computer science can be solved with another layer of
indirection. But that usually will create another problem. -- David
Wheeler

Any problem in computer science can be solved with another layer of
indirection. -- David Wheeler

A program is only as good as its worst piece of code. -- Joshua Cranmer

There is no harm in being sometimes wrong especially if one is promptly
found out. -- John Maynard Keynes

The coolest thing to do with your data will be thought of by someone else.
-- Rufus Pollock

Many CS algorithms become less useful when questions start getting
answered with "maybe". -- Eric Sink

If it ain't broke, open it up and see what makes it so bloody special. --
The Bastard Operator From Hell

tom

Roedy Green

I believe it was you, Russ Perry Jr. who said:

"Code as if whoever maintains your code is a violent psychopath
who knows where you live.”

I am collecting quotations on computer programming.
They are posted at http://mindprod.com/quote/programming.html

I like to put the author's birthdate next to them, to put them into
historical context. I wondered if you would tell me your birthdate, of
if you are concerned about ID theft, your birth year. I give quotes
extra weight on the author's birthday in picking random quotes to
display throughout the Java Glossary:
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"You can have quality software, or you can have pointer arithmetic; but you cannot have both at the same time."
~ Bertrand Meyer (born: 1950 age: 59) 1989, creator of design by contract and the Eiffel language.

Tris Orendorff

I am collecting pithy programming quotations to display at random on
the footers of the Java glossary. Do you have any favourites that
should be included? Feel free to submit ones you composed yourself
you think would be useful/inspiring to fledgling programmers. Here's
your chance at immortality.

Everything is more complicated than it first seems.
~ Tris Orendorff (born: 1961-02-13)

--
Tris Orendorff
[ Anyone naming their child should spend a few minutes checking rhyming slang and dodgy sounding names. Brad and

Karl Uppiano

Roedy Green said:
I am collecting pithy programming quotations to display at random on
the footers of the Java glossary. Do you have any favourites that
should be included? Feel free to submit ones you composed yourself
you think would be useful/inspiring to fledgling programmers. Here's
your chance at immortality.
[...]

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who
are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain (born: 1835-11-30 died: 1910-04-21 at age: 74)

Regarding this quote, a friend sent me this link:
http://www.word-detective.com/2008/04/11/putting-on/