PKWARE compression library

Hal Rosser

Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities to create 'jar'
files - which are compressed - but don't use the zip extension

Paul Lutus

hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us astray
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/jar/package-summary.html
Package java.util.jar
Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file
format, which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional
manifest file.

The prior objection seems to be that it is a ZIP utility, but it is not
PKWARE's ZIP utility, the original statememt.

Don't top post. Text above manually rearranged to make sense.

Liz

Paul Lutus said:
The prior objection seems to be that it is a ZIP utility, but it is not
PKWARE's ZIP utility, the original statememt.

If it was the original it wouldn't be Java !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Borgwardt

Hal Rosser said:
hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us astray

Not at all, you just have to read it carefully and not interpret
anything into
it that isn't actually there.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/jar/package-summary.html
Package java.util.jar
Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file format,
which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional manifest
file.

It only talks about the standard ZIP *file format* which, since it is
an open standard, can and is manipulated by code written in pure Java
in the java.util.zip package. No need at all to use the zip utilities
from pkware.

Hal Rosser

anything into
it that isn't actually there.
It only talks about the standard ZIP *file format* which, since it is
an open standard, can and is manipulated by code written in pure Java
in the java.util.zip package. No need at all to use the zip utilities
from pkware.

Well, shux-darn - and I thought I was being helpful - thar eye go thanking
agin