    library?

    --
    I am only a mirage.

    kelvSYC, Aug 15, 2004

  2. kelvSYC

    Hal Rosser Guest

    Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities to create 'jar'
    files - which are compressed - but don't use the zip extension

    "kelvSYC" <> wrote in message
    > Are there any Java implementations of the PKWARE data compression
    > library?
    >
    > --
    > I am only a mirage.

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Aug 15, 2004

  3. kelvSYC

    Frank Guest

    kelvSYC wrote:
    > Are there any Java implementations of the PKWARE data compression
    > library?

    java.util.zip

    Frank, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Hal Rosser wrote:
    > Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities

    It quite definitely doesn't.

    Michael Borgwardt, Aug 15, 2004
  5. kelvSYC

    Hal Rosser Guest

    hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us astray
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/jar/package-summary.html
    Package java.util.jar
    Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file format,
    which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional manifest
    file.

    "Michael Borgwardt" <> wrote in message
    > Hal Rosser wrote:
    > > Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities

    > It quite definitely doesn't.

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Aug 15, 2004
  6. kelvSYC

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Hal Rosser wrote:

    >> > Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities

    >> It quite definitely doesn't.

    > hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us astray

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/jar/package-summary.html
    > Package java.util.jar
    > Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file
    > format, which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional
    > manifest file.

    The prior objection seems to be that it is a ZIP utility, but it is not
    PKWARE's ZIP utility, the original statememt.

    Don't top post. Text above manually rearranged to make sense.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 16, 2004
  7. kelvSYC

    Liz Guest

    "Paul Lutus" <> wrote in message

    > >> It quite definitely doesn't.

    > > hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us

    astray

    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/jar/package-summary.html
    > > Package java.util.jar
    > > Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file
    > > format, which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional
    > > manifest file.

    > The prior objection seems to be that it is a ZIP utility, but it is not
    > PKWARE's ZIP utility, the original statememt.

    If it was the original it wouldn't be Java !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Liz, Aug 16, 2004
  8. "Hal Rosser" <> wrote in message news:<YIQTc.6$>...
    > "Michael Borgwardt" <> wrote in message
    > > Hal Rosser wrote:
    > > > Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities

    > > It quite definitely doesn't.

    > hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us astray

    Not at all, you just have to read it carefully and not interpret
    anything into
    it that isn't actually there.

    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/jar/package-summary.html
    > Package java.util.jar
    > Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file format,
    > which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional manifest
    > file.

    It only talks about the standard ZIP *file format* which, since it is
    an open standard, can and is manipulated by code written in pure Java
    in the java.util.zip package. No need at all to use the zip utilities
    from pkware.

    Michael Borgwardt, Aug 16, 2004
  9. kelvSYC

    Hal Rosser Guest

    > anything into
    > it that isn't actually there.
    > It only talks about the standard ZIP *file format* which, since it is
    > an open standard, can and is manipulated by code written in pure Java
    > in the java.util.zip package. No need at all to use the zip utilities
    > from pkware.

    Well, shux-darn - and I thought I was being helpful - thar eye go thanking
    agin

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Aug 17, 2004
  10. kelvSYC

    David Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:38:28 -0400, "Hal Rosser"
    <> wrote:

    >> anything into
    >> it that isn't actually there.
    >> It only talks about the standard ZIP *file format* which, since it is
    >> an open standard, can and is manipulated by code written in pure Java
    >> in the java.util.zip package. No need at all to use the zip utilities
    >> from pkware.

    >Well, shux-darn - and I thought I was being helpful - thar eye go thanking
    >agin

    Wee ahpresheate ur heelp.

    David, Aug 17, 2004