    Page A has a lot of thumbnail links that use php to generate the B
    page. I was testing yesterday, and it's a PITA to have to keep
    scrolling down in A.
    Frogleg, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Frogleg

    Phil Guest

    "Frogleg" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How can I keep track of where someone jumps out of page A so that I
    > can return them there when they use the 'back' button from page B?
    > Page A has a lot of thumbnail links that use php to generate the B
    > page. I was testing yesterday, and it's a PITA to have to keep
    > scrolling down in A.

    Isn't that some kind if Indian bread lol
    Phil, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Frogleg

    rf Guest

    Frogleg wrote:

    > How can I keep track of where someone jumps out of page A so that I
    > can return them there when they use the 'back' button from page B?
    > Page A has a lot of thumbnail links that use php to generate the B
    > page. I was testing yesterday, and it's a PITA to have to keep
    > scrolling down in A.

    URL?

    My browser returns to exactly where it was the link was clicked.

    Ah, I know, you are not actually going "back", in the sense of the back
    button. You have a link on page B that says "back". You are not actually
    goin back, you are going "forward" from B to A, so the browser is treating
    it as a new page load.

    You could put a named anchor at each thumbnail location in A and, in the B
    page, go "back" to a.html#thumbnailB.

    You could also fiddle with the history but this is not cross browser
    dependable.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Frogleg

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Frogleg <> wrote:

    >How can I keep track of where someone jumps out of page A so that I
    >can return them there when they use the 'back' button from page B?
    >Page A has a lot of thumbnail links that use php to generate the B
    >page. I was testing yesterday, and it's a PITA to have to keep
    >scrolling down in A.

    I've just tested one of my pages in Mozilla 1.7, Opera 7.5 and IE6 and
    they all do this automatically. (Scroll down page, click link, let new
    page load, hit back, page scroll positioned exactly where it was
    before). So which browser and/or which site are you having a problem
    with?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:33:34 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    >Frogleg wrote:
    >
    >> How can I keep track of where someone jumps out of page A so that I
    >> can return them there when they use the 'back' button from page B?
    >> Page A has a lot of thumbnail links that use php to generate the B
    >> page. I was testing yesterday, and it's a PITA to have to keep
    >> scrolling down in A.

    >Ah, I know, you are not actually going "back", in the sense of the back
    >button. You have a link on page B that says "back". You are not actually
    >goin back, you are going "forward" from B to A, so the browser is treating
    >it as a new page load.

    You got it. :)

    >You could put a named anchor at each thumbnail location in A and, in the B
    >page, go "back" to a.html#thumbnailB.

    That's actually what I did -- not each thumbnail, but a sort of
    mid-page location -- <a id="you_were_probably_around_here_somewhere">

    >You could also fiddle with the history but this is not cross browser
    >dependable.

    This was more of less what I was wondering about. If it's going to be
    a hassle, I'll settle for my mid-page correction.

    Thanks.
    Frogleg, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Frogleg

    Sam Hughes Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:14:28 GMT, Frogleg <> wrote:

    > How can I keep track of where someone jumps out of page A so that I
    > can return them there when they use the 'back' button from page B?
    > Page A has a lot of thumbnail links that use php to generate the B
    > page. I was testing yesterday, and it's a PITA to have to keep
    > scrolling down in A.

    Browsers already do this on their own.

    --
    Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
    the others are remembered and avoided forever.
    Sam Hughes, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Frogleg

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > Frogleg wrote:
    >
    >> I was testing yesterday, and it's a PITA to have to keep
    >> scrolling down in A.

    > Isn't that some kind if Indian bread lol

    It's Greek actually (though similar breads can be found throughout the
    Middle East).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jul 27, 2004