Place .NET custom control on any WebPage

Steve Amey

Hi all

Is it possible to create a Web User Control using VS.NET 2003 and have that
control displayed on any web page. The pages may be made using any web
development tool, not necessarily .NET.

If it is, are there any useful source projects or articles that would start
a beginner off on the right rack??

All I'm after at the moment is proof-of-concept. Just a small Web Control
developed in .NET displayed on a web page designed in FrontPage, for
example.

Kind Regards,
Steve

Robert Koritnik

Actually it's possible as long as you don't interefere with the DLL classes.
You could actually use the @Page directive on many pages and use the same
class to handle it, but make shure that all controls that the codebehind
calls are really there on the page.

The same goes for your UserControl. U can put and use it on any page as long
as the class that handles the page has a reference to it. If it doesn't,
you're "dead meat"...

If the VS is the problem, you can still create asp.net apps and compile the
project "by hand" using the CSC.EXE (framework folder). but you'll have to
take care of all the files and their format. Or you can use WebMatrix tool
wich is free and very similar to VS on the outside and VERY different on the
inside. But It's a nice free tool. Try it. www.webmatrix.com.